Josephson Junctions: A Guide to Understanding & References

• Thread starter sokrates
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking resources to better understand Josephson Junctions. They have already checked sources like Google Books and Wikipedia but are still looking for a more comprehensive explanation. Recommendations include Feynman's lectures on quantum mechanics, Tinkham's book, and Kadin's "Introduction to Superconducting Circuits." It is noted that understanding the microscopic theory is not necessary for understanding device physics. The individual is also working on a project combining Josephson and spintronics and may reach out for further help in the future.
sokrates
Hello people,

I need to understand Josephson Junctions more seriously and I am looking for a direct, bottom-line description, could some of the experienced people point me to good references?

Google books, wiki, or amazon does not seem to quench my thirst.

Thanks a bunch in advance,,

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest to begin with Feynman's lectures on quantum mechanics, last chapter.

The lectures is a good start (I actually used a generalized version of Feynman's derivation in my thesis) but it might also be a good idea to look in one of the "usual" references, such as Tinkham's book. Partly because they will describe the physics in more detail, but also because Feynman wrote his lectures when the field was just starting to take off meaning it covers only the most basics (and the experimental data shown isn't exactly state-of-the-art to put it mildly).
Another good reference would be Kadin's "Introduction to Superconducting Circuits" which is reasonably up to to date.

It is perhaps worth pointing out that there is really no need to understand the microscopic theory(which is still an active area of research in many types of junctions) if you are interested in the device physics; the Josephson equations (in combination with some basic circuit theory) is all you need in order to understand how not only the junctions themselves work but also devices based on junctions: SQUIDS, RFSQ, Superconducting qubits etc

That is not a very good reference for the basics of Josephson junctions; it does describe some of the physics (phase qubits are essentially just single Josephson junctions) but since it deals with qubits the regimes that are used are a bit "exotic" (small tunnel junctions etc); it is a good reference (especially since it refers to a couple of papers I've co-authored:tongue2:) but not for "basic" Josephsonics.
In order to undstand the basics of the device physics you are better off with a reference that starts by describing the RCSJ model etc.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

We are starting off a new project based on josephson + spintronics... There has been a couple of ideas,

I'll bug you guys more in the future..
Thanks

What is a Josephson Junction?

A Josephson Junction is a superconducting device that consists of two superconducting electrodes separated by a thin insulating barrier. It allows for the flow of supercurrent without any resistance and is used in various applications such as quantum computing and high-speed electronics.

How does a Josephson Junction work?

A Josephson Junction works based on the Josephson effect, which is the phenomenon of supercurrent flow between two superconducting electrodes separated by a thin barrier. When a small voltage is applied across the junction, it creates Cooper pairs of electrons that tunnel through the barrier, resulting in a supercurrent.

What are some applications of Josephson Junctions?

Josephson Junctions have a wide range of applications, including quantum computing, high-speed electronics, and metrology. They are also used in sensitive detectors for measuring magnetic fields and in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines.

How are Josephson Junctions made?

Josephson Junctions are typically made by depositing superconducting materials, such as niobium or lead, on a thin insulating barrier, such as aluminum oxide. This process is done using techniques such as sputtering or electron-beam evaporation.

What are the advantages of using Josephson Junctions?

There are several advantages of using Josephson Junctions, including their ability to operate at very low temperatures, their high sensitivity to magnetic fields, and their ability to generate high-frequency signals with low noise. They also have low power consumption and can be fabricated in small sizes, making them suitable for use in advanced technologies.