Undergraduate in Applied Maths, Graduate in Eng.?

In summary, it is possible to go to graduate school for engineering with an undergraduate degree in applied mathematics and a strong background in engineering electives. However, some graduate schools may require an undergraduate degree in the same field of engineering. There are also areas of study in mathematics that are closely tied to engineering, such as computational fluid dynamics and PDEs. It may also be possible to obtain a PhD in engineering with an undergraduate degree in applied mathematics and a focus on mathematical research within the engineering field. It is recommended to start researching specific graduate programs and considering internships in the engineering industry. It may also be possible to obtain a position in an engineering company with a degree in applied mathematics and work towards a graduate degree part-time while gaining experience in the
JG89
Simple question: Say I get an undergraduate degree in applied mathematics, and I take a lot of engineering electives during this time. How likely is it that I would be able to go to graduate school for engineering?

Also, are there areas of study (in mathematics) that are very intimately tied together with engineering?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump..

If you know you want to go to grad school in engineering, why not study it as an undergrad? Some grad schools require an engineering undergrad degree in the same field you want to study at the graduate level.

My lab partner in engineering double majored in applied math and is getting her math phd now. You could always go that route too.

Well, there are computational fluid dynamics, PDEs, mostly applied mathematics.

I've also heard of people (including my uncle) who are engineers, and are currently researching on measure theory, which is very mathematical in nature.

I forgot to mention, yesterday I went to see my guidance counselor. She said I can't take engineering courses as an elective because engineering is from a different faculty.

I didn't ask her about the double major though...I shall find out.

JG89 said:
I forgot to mention, yesterday I went to see my guidance counselor. She said I can't take engineering courses as an elective because engineering is from a different faculty.

I didn't ask her about the double major though...I shall find out.

Did she mean you can't take them as electives to satisfy your math requirements? You must be able to take courses outside of the math department.

Why do you think you want to go to grad school for engineering and not math?

"Did she mean you can't take them as electives to satisfy your math requirements?"

She meant that I can't take any engineering courses at all :(

I was thinking of a PhD in engineering, because I would very much like to do research into engineering methods for a weapons development company, and I would like for this research to be mostly mathematical in nature. I figured with an undergraduate degree in applied mathematics I would be able to do this if I went to graduate school for engineering, or maybe a sub-field of engineering that deals with maths in the way that I am interested in.

JG89 said:
"Did she mean you can't take them as electives to satisfy your math requirements?"

She meant that I can't take any engineering courses at all :(

I was thinking of a PhD in engineering, because I would very much like to do research into engineering methods for a weapons development company, and I would like for this research to be mostly mathematical in nature. I figured with an undergraduate degree in applied mathematics I would be able to do this if I went to graduate school for engineering, or maybe a sub-field of engineering that deals with maths in the way that I am interested in.

Sure, it's doable. If I were you I'd start looking at specific grad programs now and see what their requirements are. You might also want to look at changing majors. Engineers are typically in such demand that an undergrad degree is all that you need for 99% of industry jobs. A graduate degree definitely helps you move up the technical career ladder more easily though.

You could also apply to a company heavy into engineering straight out of undergrad. Most companies will pay you to get a masters part time while you work. When you finish that degree you'd already be doing similar work in a company you'd want to stick with, and you should have no trouble moving to more pure engineering from an analysis position or other sort of position that your math major alone will qualify you for. Once you're in, you may not even need a different degree at all to get to the type of work you want.

Definitely try to get an internship within the engineering organization of a large company while you're still in school. Whether you want to use grad school to change paths or you go directly to such a company full time, an internship will be invaluable. If you keep your grades up and can get an internship you should be fine no matter how the other details work out.

kote said:
You could also apply to a company heavy into engineering straight out of undergrad. Most companies will pay you to get a masters part time while you work. When you finish that degree you'd already be doing similar work in a company you'd want to stick with, and you should have no trouble moving to more pure engineering from an analysis position or other sort of position that your math major alone will qualify you for. Once you're in, you may not even need a different degree at all to get to the type of work you want.

You're saying that if one gets a BS in applied math and then works for a position that the math major alone qualifies him for, he can eventually obtain, say a mechanical engineering position?

As for one with a BS in applied math even obtaining any full-time job in the first place, if one gets an offer that uses math/programming, but is from a company that does work not related to engineering, should he take that offer?

creepypasta13 said:
You're saying that if one gets a BS in applied math and then works for a position that the math major alone qualifies him for, he can eventually obtain, say a mechanical engineering position?

As for one with a BS in applied math even obtaining any full-time job in the first place, if one gets an offer that uses math/programming, but is from a company that does work not related to engineering, should he take that offer?

If the position doesn't require a PE certification, then sure. You'll find random scientists and mathematicians working in the engineering departments of large companies.

As for your second question, it all depends on your other options.

kote said:
If the position doesn't require a PE certification, then sure. You'll find random scientists and mathematicians working in the engineering departments of large companies.

As for your second question, it all depends on your other options.

For the first question, how easy is it to switch positions to obtain an engineering-related one?

In the second question, I meant if a math major got an offer for a, say, consulting company that does work related to economics but requires math/programming on the job, but the person wishes to work for in the defense industry, should he take that job, so that he can put that work experience on his resume, increasing his chances of getting hired at an engineering company in the future?

1. What is the difference between an undergraduate degree in Applied Mathematics and a graduate degree in Engineering?

An undergraduate degree in Applied Mathematics focuses on the theoretical understanding and practical application of mathematical principles in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance. On the other hand, a graduate degree in Engineering is more specialized and focuses on the practical application of engineering principles in a specific field.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in Engineering with an undergraduate degree in Applied Mathematics?

Yes, many universities offer graduate programs in Engineering for students with a background in Applied Mathematics. However, it is important to check the specific requirements and prerequisites for the program you are interested in.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with an undergraduate degree in Applied Mathematics and a graduate degree in Engineering?

There are a wide range of career opportunities for individuals with this combination of degrees. Some common career paths include data analyst, operations research analyst, financial analyst, software engineer, and research scientist.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in both mathematics and engineering to pursue this education path?

Having a strong foundation in both mathematics and engineering can be beneficial, but it is not always necessary. Many universities offer introductory courses for students who may not have a strong background in one of these areas. Additionally, there are also opportunities to strengthen your knowledge through internships and research projects.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for success in this education path?

Some important skills and qualities for success in this education path include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical skills, attention to detail, and strong mathematical abilities. It is also important to have a passion for both mathematics and engineering and a desire to apply these skills in real-world scenarios.