Latex Equation Numbering: Change eqref to "eqn.

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Apteronotus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to reference equations in a latex file. The first method mentioned is using "eqref{}" which produces "(1)". The person then asks for a way to change this to "(eqn. 1)". One solution suggested is to use the /ref keyword and add parens around it. Another solution is to create a macro using a new command.
Apteronotus
Hi, when I want to reference an equation in my latex file I use "eqref{}" with produces "(1)".
I would like to change this so that it appears as "(eqn. 1)"

Is there any way to get the desired affect?

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way i know how to do that is to go back to using the /ref keyword and put parens around it, yourself. For example, instead of \eqref{abc}, use (eqn. \ref{abc}).

Yes, that works.
Thank you.

Alternatively, you can use macros. Add something like

Code:
\newcommand\eqnrf[1]{(eqn.~\ref{#1})}

into your preamble. Then,

Code:
\eqnrf{abc}

will produce something like (eqn. 1)

(Of course, it's a little sloppy to do things like that, since the equation is called (1): you should say something like "eqn. (1)")

1. How do I change the equation numbering in Latex?

To change the equation numbering in Latex, you can use the \numberwithin{equation}{section} command. This will number your equations according to the section they are in. You can also use the \renewcommand{\theequation}{eqn. \arabic{equation}} command to change the label of the equation number.

2. How do I reference an equation in Latex?

To reference an equation in Latex, you can use the \eqref{label} command. This will automatically insert the number of the referenced equation, including any changes made to the equation numbering.

3. Can I change the label of the equation number in Latex?

Yes, you can change the label of the equation number in Latex by using the \renewcommand{\theequation}{eqn. \arabic{equation}} command. This will replace the default label "Equation" with "eqn." followed by the equation number.

4. How do I reset the equation numbering in Latex?

To reset the equation numbering in Latex, you can use the \setcounter{equation}{0} command. This will reset the equation counter to 0 and start numbering the equations from the beginning again.

5. Can I change the format of the equation number in Latex?

Yes, you can change the format of the equation number in Latex by using the \renewcommand{\theequation}{format} command. You can use any desired format, such as Roman numerals or letters, in place of "format" to change the appearance of the equation number.