Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy

In summary, the question is asking for the percentage of gravitational and kinetic energy before and after Jake slid down a slide with an initial velocity of X m/s. The slide is Y m tall and there is no friction. The total energy at the beginning is equal to the sum of the initial kinetic and potential energy. The problem also asks for the percentage of both kinetic and potential energy with respect to the total mechanical energy.
Du312
The numbers aren't important whereas I just need an approach.
So the question goes like this, Jake slid down a slide at a velocity of X m/s (initial velocity), the slide is Y m tall.

a) how much (%) kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy are there before and after Jake slid down the slide?
b) what feature of the slide caused it to be in this way?

ps. it's not Eg = 100% and Ek = 0% before Jake slid down

thx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand the question. First, is there friction? Second, if Jake is sliding down, shouldn't gravitational energy be converted to kinetic instead of the other way round?

there is no friction, and yes gravitational energy is converted to kinetic, but the question's asking how much (what percentage) of gravitational energy is NOT converted... it is kinda confusing but it is how the teacher worded it o_O

actually, we can ignore it. I'm actually more curious about how you would calculate the the percentage of gravitational and kinetic energy in the first place (obviously it's not simply Eg = 100% and Ek = 0% before Jake slid down)

thank you for your reply and i'll revise the question a bit

Jake had x m/s initial velocity , so the initial KE was not zero

The total energy at the beginning E= KE(i) +PE(i).

The problem asks the percentage of both the KE and PE with respect to the total mechanical energy. ehild

What is Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy?

Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy is a measurement used in physics to describe the proportion of energy that an object has due to its motion.

How is Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy calculated?

Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy is calculated by dividing an object's kinetic energy by its total energy and multiplying the result by 100. The formula is: (KE/total energy) x 100.

What is the significance of Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy?

Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy is important because it helps us understand the distribution of energy in a system. It also allows us to compare the amount of kinetic energy in different objects.

How does Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy relate to other energy concepts?

Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy is closely related to other energy concepts, such as potential energy and total energy. It is also related to the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

What are some real-life applications of Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy?

Gr11 Percentage of Kinetic Energy is used in many real-life situations, including sports (such as calculating the kinetic energy of a moving ball), transportation (such as calculating the kinetic energy of a moving vehicle), and in understanding the behavior of particles in chemical reactions.