Understanding BJT Switching: Output Waveform with 1Kohm Resistor | BJT as Switch

• Thread starter yusra eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt Switch
In summary, the discussion was about the effect of a 15V DC supply and a function generator on the output signal of a BJT transistor used as a switch. The use of the DC supply is to bias the transistor and determine its mode of operation, while the function generator provides the input signal. The effect of a 1 microfarad capacitor on the output signal was also discussed, with emphasis on its reactance and its impact on the frequency response. The voltage gain of the transistor was also mentioned and how it is affected by the load resistance.
yusra eng
hello everyone ...I'm new here and I have so many questions need to be answered ! so I will be really really really thankful if you help :)

what should be the out put voltage waveform shape on the Oscilloscope "Vce" , when the 1Kohm resistor inserted and when it's not ...
the BJT as switch.doc (37.0 KB)

I made this experiment but I'm not sure about what I came up with !
can anyone explain to me what is the effect of the 15v DC & the function generator on the output signal & should I consider 1 Micro Farad capacitor to be an open circuit ??!

The square wave function generator gives input signal with Vpp = 2v & 1KHZ

need your help as soon as possible
thanx in advance :)

Attachments

• the BJT as switch.doc
    37 KB · Views: 216
Physics news on Phys.org
yusra eng said:
hello everyone ...I'm new here and I have so many questions need to be answered ! so I will be really really really thankful if you help :)

what should be the out put voltage waveform shape on the Oscilloscope "Vce" , when the 1Kohm resistor inserted and when it's not ...
the BJT as switch.doc (37.0 KB)

I made this experiment but I'm not sure about what I came up with !
can anyone explain to me what is the effect of the 15v DC & the function generator on the output signal & should I consider 1 Micro Farad capacitor to be an open circuit ??!

The square wave function generator gives input signal with Vpp = 2v & 1KHZ

need your help as soon as possible
thanx in advance :)

can anyone explain to me what is the effect of the 15v DC
This is a pretty sure signal that you have not yet studied transistors.
The transistor can draw current from this 15 volt supply, or it can stop current flowing.
Do you know what controls this current?

The device on the output is an oscilloscope, which let's you watch the output as a waveform on a screen. In this case, it is a dual trace oscilloscope, so it let's you watch the input and the output at the same time.

You can work out the REACTANCE of a capacitor at any frequency. In this case, you know the frequency and the capacitance, so you can estimate the effect such a capacitor would have at that frequency.
Have a look here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_reactance
d1093caebdb7b6d3f6adfd94d00d03ec.png

Beware that the C is in Farads.

well , unfortunately I studied transistors before but it's my first time for being in Electronic Lab & I realized that I don't have that much information , almost nothing !

I'm a little bit confused , I know that DC supply is for biasing the transistor to work either in Active , cut-off , or Saturation mode...by locating the Q-point on the DC load line

but is this the only aim for using it !? and what's it's effect on the output voltage ?!

for example , I got these shapes for the output voltage ...and I'm not really sure about why they shaped on this way !

can you help me with this please ?!

Attachments

• yusra lab.doc
    65.5 KB · Views: 196
I can't see anything in the second image except the room lights and a flat line.

When they said to remove the 1 K resistor, maybe they meant to replace it with a piece of wire.

It is best to regard the transistor as a device whose resistance can be changed. So, if you put another resistor in series with it from the power supply, the two will form a voltage divider.

If the transistor is behaving like a low resistance, most of the supply voltage (your 15 volts) will appear across the series resistor. If it is behaving like a high resistance, most of the supply voltage will appear across the transistor.

So, if the power supply wasn't there, none of this could happen. The transistor would always have zero volts across it.
If you break the circuit, no current could flow, so none of this could happen.

Voltage gain is output signal voltage / input signal voltage.

For a given transistor, the voltage gain depends on the load resistance. The higher the load resistor, the higher the gain.
So, if you have a pair of resistors in series as the load resistance, and measure the gain, the output will reduce if you put a capacitor across one of them.

This effect will be different at different frequencies.
At higher frequencies, the capacitor will have more effect. That is why you have to work out the reactance of the capacitor and compare it with the resistance of the resistor you are putting it across.
Then you can estimate what effect this capacitor will have on the overall frequency response.

What is a BJT?

A BJT, or bipolar junction transistor, is a type of electronic component that is commonly used in circuits as an amplifier or a switch. It is made up of three layers of doped semiconductor material, and has three terminals: the base, collector, and emitter.

How does a BJT work as a switch?

A BJT can be used as a switch by controlling the amount of current flowing through the base terminal. When a small current is applied to the base, it allows a larger current to flow from the collector to the emitter, turning the transistor "on". When no current is applied to the base, the transistor is "off". This allows for the control of larger currents using a smaller input signal.

What are the advantages of using a BJT as a switch?

One advantage of using a BJT as a switch is its ability to handle high power and current levels. It also has a fast switching speed and can be easily controlled by a small input signal. Additionally, BJTs are inexpensive and widely available.

What are the limitations of using a BJT as a switch?

One limitation of using a BJT as a switch is that it requires a constant input current to keep it in the "on" state. This means that there will always be some power dissipation in the transistor, even when it is not actively switching. BJTs also have a limited lifespan and can be damaged by high temperatures or excessive currents.

How do I choose the right BJT for my circuit?

The right BJT for a circuit will depend on the specific application and requirements. Factors to consider include the desired switching speed, maximum current and voltage levels, and whether the transistor needs to be in a normally "on" or "off" state. It is important to consult the transistor's datasheet and consider its specifications before selecting it for a circuit.