Calculating Magnetic Field Strength and Direction in a Two-Wire System

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving calculating magnetic field strength and direction at different points on a diagram. The person asking the question has provided their attempt at the solution and is seeking further instruction. The answerer points out the need to consider the field induced by both wires in the diagram.
griercorleone

Homework Statement

I got 1/2 of this problem right, but I am not sure of the other part. I have attached the picture. The questions are as follows (with the answers that I am sure of) --

What is the magnetic field strength at point 1 in the figure?
What is the magnetic field direction at point 1 in the figure? (out of the page)
What is the magnetic field strength at point 2 in the figure?
What is the magnetic field direction at point 2 in the figure? (in to the page)
What is the magnetic field strength at point 3 in the figure?
What is the magnetic field direction at point 3 in the figure? (out of the page)

Homework Equations

B = permeability constant * I/ 2(pi)r

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, for the first one example, this is what I did.

(1.257*10e-6)*(10)/2(pi)(.02m) = 1*10e-4

This is not correct however? Can someone give me some instruction? And for the second and third ones, which wire am I calculating from?

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 934
Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated the field induced by one wires, but there are two wires in the diagram. You have to figure out what direction the field induced by each wire is and add or subtract accordingly.

What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength, also known as magnetic flux density, is a measurement of the intensity of a magnetic field at a particular point in space.

How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is typically measured using a magnetometer, which detects the strength of a magnetic field by measuring the force it exerts on a magnetic material.

What are the units of measurement for magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is measured in units of tesla (T) in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be measured in gauss (G) or microtesla (μT) in some systems of measurement.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be affected by the size and shape of the magnet, the distance from the magnet, and the material it is interacting with. In addition, the strength of a magnetic field varies depending on the location and orientation in space.

Why is magnetic field strength important?

Magnetic field strength is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of magnets and magnetic materials. It is also crucial in many scientific and technological applications, such as in motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.