Help with Geometry Proof: Find CD in terms of AD and BD

In summary, the conversation involves finding the length of CD in terms of AD and BD, and determining the type of triangle formed by points A, B, and C. An easier method is suggested by using the center of the circle and the properties of triangles. The triangle formed by points O, D, and C is determined to have unequal sides. The angle ACB is unknown.
Maluka8
I need help in how to do this proof.

A circle is given with diameter AB. pick any point C on the circle and drop a perpendicular from C to the given diameter at D. Find CD in terms of AD and BD.

Physics news on Phys.org
Connect C to A and to B. What kind of triangle is triangle ABC?

An easier way: Let O be the centre of the circle. Then OC = OA = (AD+BD)/2. Then look at the triangle ODC to find the answer.

I understand upto where you have reached but I still can't proceed from there

kuruman said:
Connect C to A and to B. What kind of triangle is triangle ABC?

all sides are unequal

What do you know about angle ACB?

1. "What is a geometry proof?"

A geometry proof is a logical and systematic approach to solving and explaining mathematical problems in geometry. It uses previously established definitions, postulates, and theorems to justify each step and ultimately arrive at a conclusion.

2. "How do I start a geometry proof?"

The first step in a geometry proof is to carefully read and analyze the given information and determine what needs to be proven. Then, identify any given information or known relationships that can be used to support your argument. From there, you can begin to apply relevant theorems and definitions to logically progress towards the desired conclusion.

3. "What is the difference between a theorem and a postulate?"

A theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true using previously established definitions, postulates, and theorems. It is a logical consequence of these accepted principles. On the other hand, a postulate is a statement that is accepted without proof and serves as a basic assumption in geometry.

4. "Can I use algebra in a geometry proof?"

Yes, algebra can be used in a geometry proof to solve for unknown values or to manipulate equations to prove a given statement. However, it is important to make sure that the algebraic operations used are valid and follow the rules of geometry.

5. "How can I check my work in a geometry proof?"

One way to check your work in a geometry proof is to carefully review each step and make sure that each statement logically follows from the previous ones. You can also try working the proof backwards, starting from the conclusion and seeing if you can logically justify each step to arrive back at the given information.