Electric field of a current-carrying wire?

In summary, the electric field due to a loop of wire centered at the origin is zero for t<0, and increases linearly with time for t>0. At (0,0,z), the electric field is maximum.
Jerbearrrrrr
Suppose there's a square wire loop in the x-y plane centred on the origin. There's a current I flowing in the loop for t>0 (nothing for t<0)
What's the electric field due to the entire loop at (0,0,z) as a function of time?

I have no idea how to approach this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jerbearrrrrr said:

Personally, I would approach this using Fourier Analysis. You are looking for the time domain response to a step function. Maxwell's equations tell you the time evolution of the system. Note that the system is linear because no media are specified.

Jerbearrrrrr said:
Suppose there's a square wire loop in the x-y plane centred on the origin. There's a current I flowing in the loop for t>0 (nothing for t<0)
What's the electric field due to the entire loop at (0,0,z) as a function of time?

Alright, the first thing to try to do is to break it down into a couple of simpler problems, then use superposition. Can you first write down the electric field from a single wire at a distance of z' from the center?

Jerbearrrrrr said:

Alright, the first thing to try to do is to break it down into a couple of simpler problems, then use superposition. Can you first write down the electric field from a single wire at a distance of z' from the center?

If you are completely lost, start with writing down the magnetic fields at those points at t<0 (I know that one is easy but do it anyway to understand the point.) and t> 0. Once you have done that, the previous poster had suggested using a Fourier series. That is a good idea. Break down j ( a step function) into a Fourier series. so the dB/dt is better defined as a continuous function.

This is in the context of SR, so we need to introduce retarded times.
I don't remember the problem exactly, but the integral came out as something doable I think. I used:
[tex] A^a=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int d^3 x' \frac{ j^a (t',x')}{|x-x'|}[/tex]
t'=retarded time:
[tex]t ^2 -'t^2 = x^2 - x'^2[/tex]
Parameterize the wire, say, y from -l/2 to +l/2 for a segment length l.
[tex]A^a = C \int dy \frac {\theta(t-\sqrt(l^2/4 +y^2+z^2) I^a}{\sqrt{z^2 +l^2/4 + y^2}}[/tex]
Integrate by parts to get a delta function and you get something funny with delta functions but it's okay.
Assume I can work through the integrals and find B (i'll get some paper at some point). Dunno if that's right, but the vector calculus doesn't worry me as much as the justifying.

It says justify your answer carefully - are we toying with assumptions or anything. Or do you think it means be careful with the signs when adding up the contributions?

(this isn't homework, so don't be afraid to like 'spoil the ending', it's part of an exam that's already passed x.x but anyway)
Oh balls, just realized I crapped up the integral. Oh well. I had like 20 minutes and I wasn't in electrodynamics mode (The paper had everything from set theory to complex analysis) haha. sigh.

Last edited:
Jerbearrrrrr said:
This is in the context of SR, so we need to introduce retarded times.

It seems to me like you are on the right track here in the analysis with the use of retarded potentials.

The way that I would approach this problem would be to look up the analysis of loop antennas. I believe the square loop can be considered 4 short dipole antennas and superpostion can be used. Usually, antenna derivations are done for sinusoidal steady state conditions, so this is where the Fourier Analysis can come in.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle. It is created by the presence of electric charges and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is an electric field created by a current-carrying wire?

When a wire carries an electric current, it creates a magnetic field around it. This magnetic field, in turn, creates an electric field that runs parallel to the wire. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the current in the wire.

3. What is the direction of the electric field around a current-carrying wire?

The electric field around a wire is circular, with the wire at the center. The direction of the field is perpendicular to the wire, meaning it runs at a right angle to the wire's surface.

4. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of a current-carrying wire?

The formula for calculating the electric field around a current-carrying wire is E = I/2πr, where E is the electric field strength, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

5. How does the electric field of a current-carrying wire affect nearby objects?

The electric field of a current-carrying wire can affect nearby objects by exerting a force on charged particles within those objects. This can cause the objects to move or experience a change in their electrical properties.