Math education: Singapore Math

In summary, the conversation is about the effectiveness of the Singapore Math teaching method, with the main focus on its use in North America. The conversation highlights the success stories and curriculum covered in the program, as well as personal experiences with using the method. The conversation also mentions the high ranking of Singapore in the TIMMSS study and the availability of a forum for further discussion. The conversation ends with a disclaimer that the results may vary and are dependent on individual factors.
BenVitale
Anyone familiar with Singapore Math?

http://www.thearticlemonkey.com/2010/07/28/reasons-why-the-singapore-math-coaching-method-desirable-for-children/

Do you know any teacher who is using this teaching method in North America?

If so, please share the success stories, and the not-so-successful ones you heard of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I know of homeschooling parents who use Singapore Math with their kids, mostly with good results.

The topics covered in their secondary school math program are all mixed, unlike what we do in the US. For instance, in their New Elementary Math series, here are the main topics covered (taken from their website -- http://www.singaporemath.com/" is their home page):
NEM 1 – pre-algebra, some algebra 1 and geometry
NEM 2 – more algebra 1 and geometry, some trigonometry and statistics
NEM 3 – more algebra 1, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics, some algebra 2
NEM 4 – loci, vectors, transformations, probability, and review

These books are for grades 7-10 in Singapore. Hmm, and weren't they ranked #1 in the TIMMSS study or something?

There is a forum for Singaporemath.com, which you can find http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/forum.php" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Primary year 3 and 4 workbooks with my daughter. When first looking at them the progression seems deceptively simple. After trying another system for 6 months (Jump math), we returned to Singapore math and realized that it is very very well designed. Jump is ok, but Singapore is better.

It progresses a little faster than the standard Canadian (and I assume US) grade system. I am not aware of its results in a classroom setting - perhaps Jump was better suited to that.

Disclaimer: I am a highly motivated parent who likes to teach and likes math. Your results may vary.

1. What is Singapore Math and how is it different from other math education approaches?

Singapore Math is a teaching method that was developed in the 1980s by the Ministry of Education in Singapore. It is based on the idea of teaching math conceptually and using a concrete-pictorial-abstract (CPA) approach. This means that students learn math by first using physical objects or pictures to understand concepts, then moving on to abstract symbols and equations. This is different from traditional approaches that focus on memorization and rote learning.

2. Is Singapore Math only used in Singapore?

No, Singapore Math has gained popularity in many countries around the world, including the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. It has been adopted by many schools and districts as a way to improve math education and has been shown to be effective in improving students' math skills.

3. What age group is Singapore Math suitable for?

Singapore Math can be used for students of all ages, but it is most commonly used for elementary and middle school students. The curriculum is designed to build a strong foundation in math concepts that can be built upon in later grades.

4. Can Singapore Math be used in combination with other math education methods?

Yes, Singapore Math can be used in conjunction with other math education methods. It is often used as a supplement to traditional math curriculum, or as a way to introduce new concepts in a more visual and conceptual way.

5. What are the benefits of using Singapore Math?

There are many potential benefits to using Singapore Math, including improved understanding and retention of math concepts, increased problem-solving skills, and improved critical thinking skills. It has also been shown to be effective in closing achievement gaps and improving overall math proficiency in students.