Can two bodies exist in the same space-time position?

In summary, two objects cannot overlap in space-time due to the wave nature of matter. If two particles have the same wave function (like photons), then they can be at the same point in space and time.
freewanderer
Can two objects overlap in space-time? Why or Why not? If so, what circumstances must exist? If not, by what mechanism are two objects deemed separate?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think at a particular instance one could have two bodies in the same position in space time, but it would simply be an intersection of their world lines? However I would say that they cannot have the exact same coordinates, on the same coordinate system, for it seems then they would have to be inside one another. However, superimposing one of the coordinate systems on the other I would think that you could have the same coordinates, in space and in time. I have limited knowledge in this subject so don't quote it please :P

freewanderer said:
Can two objects overlap in space-time? Why or Why not? If so, what circumstances must exist? If not, by what mechanism are two objects deemed separate?

Are you talking about actual macroscopic objects, like two rocks? If so, then this isn't really a relativity question, and I think we ought to ask an administrator to move it to a forum like Quantum Physics, which is where you'll be more likely to get good answers.

If you're talking about pointlike particles, then actually I still don't see what's relativistic about the question. Relativity is a classical theory that can accommodate particles and fields, but the particles and fields are just sort of plugged into the theory. Relativity doesn't say anything about their properties. For instance, if you plug in a theory of pointlike particles with electric charge, then it's going to take infinite energy to get them right on top of each other -- but this is a fact about the theory you plugged into relativity, not about relativity itself.

This question is better suited for the Quantum Mechanics forum. In 3 dimensions in Quantum Mechanics, we get some restrictions on whether on not identical particles can be at the same point in space and time. (In 2 dimensions, it gets much more complicated)

Identical bosons can be at the same points in space and time (but the wave function of the collection must be unchanged on exchanging any 2 of the particles)
Identical fermions cannot be at the same point in space and time (and the wave function of the collection gains a negative sign on the exchanging of any 2 of the particles)
Non-identical particles (like an electron and a proton) can be at the same point in space and time with no restrictions on the wave function.

I've heard it said that a baseball could "vibrate" itself through a brick wall - so to speak - if it moved slow enough and its energy form (wave-like) would do its thing. It might take three billion years to accomplish this but was do-able.

Waves can pass through the same media at the same time and only affect each other at their common areas or zones of intersection, so if matter really was crystalized energy (waves) I suppose that would be possible.

It certainly has no place in the real world, though.

I have a question now... Is a photon a packet of electromagnetic waves along a "beam?' Like this:

-----------------/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\----------------------/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/----------/\/\/\/\/\/\/---->

1. Can two bodies occupy the same space at the same time?

According to the laws of physics, two objects cannot occupy the exact same space at the exact same time. This is known as the Pauli Exclusion Principle, which states that no two particles can have the same quantum state in the same system.

2. What happens when two objects try to occupy the same space?

If two objects try to occupy the same space, they will either repel each other or one object will push the other out of the way. This is due to the electromagnetic forces between particles, which prevent them from occupying the same space.

3. Is it possible for two objects to be in the same space-time position in different dimensions?

In theory, it is possible for two objects to be in the same space-time position in different dimensions. However, since we are limited to the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time, it is not possible for us to observe or interact with objects in other dimensions.

4. Can two objects be in the same space-time position if they have different masses?

Yes, two objects can be in the same space-time position even if they have different masses. Mass is just one property of an object and does not affect its position in space and time. However, the objects may still interact with each other based on their masses and other properties.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that two objects cannot exist in the same space-time position?

There are some exceptions to this rule, but they only occur at the quantum level. In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in a superposition, which means they can occupy the same space at the same time. However, this phenomenon is still not fully understood and only occurs on a very small scale.