Vectors ; specifically cross product application

In summary, the magnitude of vector A perpendicular to the direction of vector B but in the plane of vector A and B is 107.207.
kapitanma

Homework Statement

vector A = 1.5i + 6.7j - 7.4k
vector B= -8.2i + 6.5j + 2.3k

(f) What is the magnitude of the component of vector A perpendicular to the direction of vector B but in the plane of vector A and B.

The Attempt at a Solution

This part of the problem has me kinda stumped. My attempt at the solution was using the application of the cross product : C = ABsin(theta).

I calculated the angle between the two as 82.43 degrees, and realized that this formula gave me the same thing as simply taking the magnitude of the cross product vector which I calculated to be 107.207.

This shows me that my fundamental approach to this problem is incorrect, but I have no idea where to go with it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnitudes of vectors isn't all you need, you also need directions. It would be nice to find a vector that is perpendicular to B but in the plane of A and B, right? Then you could just find the magnitude of A along that direction. How about (AxB)xB? Can you see why that works?

Looking at a graph of AxB, I think I can see why that (AxB)xB would give me a vector perpendicular to B in the plane, and I'd just have to apply the dot product to get the component of A in the direction of B.

kapitanma said:
Looking at a graph of AxB, I think I can see why that (AxB)xB would give me a vector perpendicular to B in the plane, and I'd just have to apply the dot product to get the component of A in the direction of B.

Sure. (AxB)xB is perpendicular to B, and it's also perpendicular to AxB which is the normal to plane containing A and B. And, yes, from here you can use a dot product.

I successfully solved this problem, thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

1. What is a vector cross product?

A vector cross product is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

2. How is a vector cross product calculated?

A vector cross product is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them, and then multiplying it by the unit vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

3. What is the physical significance of a vector cross product?

A vector cross product has many physical applications, such as calculating torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum. It is also used in 3D graphics to determine the orientation of objects.

4. Can a vector cross product be applied to any two vectors?

No, a vector cross product can only be applied to two three-dimensional vectors. It is not defined for two-dimensional vectors or for vectors in higher dimensions.

5. How is a vector cross product represented?

A vector cross product is typically represented by using the symbol "x" or "×" between the two vectors. For example, A x B or A × B.