Column cross-sectional area (cm2)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the cross-sectional area of a cylinder with a radius of 2cm and a height of 5cm. The formula for the cross-sectional area is A=πr^2 and it is found by making a horizontal cut through the cylinder and visualizing the shape of the cut ends. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the concept instead of just getting the answer.
mountain
hello guys!

i have a column with a shape of a cylinder. the radius is 2cm and the heigh is 5cm. i have to calculate the cross-sectional area of the column. i wonder what is the formula and how is the calculation? it has been a long time since i last had my math lectures, so i really hope for some help!

thanks alot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, draw a picture of a cylinder and visualize/draw the cross-sec. area. What is the shape of this area? How do you find the area of figures of that shape?

hi sirus!

my problem is that i don't know what it means with "cross-sectional area"

if the column has a shape like a circular cylinder with a radius of 2cm and the length/high of the column is 5cm.

how would you find the cross-sectional area?

hope for ideas!

Imagine the cylinder standing one of its ends and make a horizontal cut through it. What shape do each of the NEW ends have? That is the cross section.

hi Tide!

cross-section is that, but what about cross-sectional area of the column? is that the areal of it?

I don't think mountain will be coming up with the correct answer anytime soon. So I'll just come straight out with the answer. The cross-section of a cylinder is in the shape of a -----e. No matter where you horizontally cut a standing cylinder, the ends of the cut pieces you make will be in a shape of a -----e.

Ooops, not quite as un-cryptic as I'd hoped. :smile: Another hint: The area of the cross section has something to do with the number 3.14159265...

Mountain,

Since Recon gave such a cryptic message -- prepare to slap yourself on the forehead --- the cross secion is a CIRCLE! :-)

I'm sure you can handle it from there.

Mountain, try to read up on this in your textbook a little. Once you grasp it, cross-sectional area will be easy for you.

Geeze guys! this is emergency and you guys are playing with my time :yuck:
anyway i have got the answer from some more helpful people :tongue2: it is A= pi*r^2 :cool: :approve:

Sorry if you were pressed for time, but we don't give answers on this forum. We help people understand concepts and approaches to questions so they can find the answers themselves. You don't learn anything if someone gives you the answer to a question.

alright it is easy this is how...Take the raduis(power of 2) after converting it to the power form then you multiply it by 3.14=Pie...The answer is your cross sectional area.

Example.

Suppose a diameter is 40 cm.I convert it to the radius that is 20 cm. Then i convert again the 20 cm in the power 2 format. That becomes 400 cm. After that you multiply the 400 by 3.14(Pie Calculation) that gives you 1256 cm..So 1256cm is your cross sectional area.

Mountain your answer is 12.56cm..Your Welcome......And i am 12.And i answerd your question...LMFAO>>>>JUST A BIG LMFAO...jks...But the answer is correct

1. What is column cross-sectional area?

Column cross-sectional area refers to the two-dimensional area of a column when viewed from the side. It is measured in square centimeters (cm2) and is an important factor in determining the strength and stability of a column.

2. How is column cross-sectional area calculated?

To calculate the cross-sectional area of a column, you need to measure the width and height of the column at its widest point. Then, you can use the formula A = w x h, where A is the area, w is the width, and h is the height. Make sure to use the same units for all measurements.

3. Why is column cross-sectional area important?

The cross-sectional area of a column is an important factor in determining its load-bearing capacity and overall strength. A larger cross-sectional area can distribute weight and pressure more evenly, making the column more resistant to bending and buckling. It is also used in the calculation of the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation.

4. How does the shape of a column affect its cross-sectional area?

The shape of a column can greatly affect its cross-sectional area. For example, a circular column will have a larger cross-sectional area than a square column with the same perimeter. This is because the circular shape allows for a more efficient distribution of weight and pressure. Other factors such as fluting, tapering, and reinforcing can also affect the cross-sectional area of a column.

5. What are some common units used to measure column cross-sectional area?

The most common unit of measurement for column cross-sectional area is square centimeters (cm2). However, depending on the size and scale of the column, other units such as square meters (m2) or square inches (in2) may also be used. It is important to use consistent units when calculating and comparing cross-sectional areas.