Help, im rusty on first homework question

• Thread starter BrendanM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the requested function and sketching the curve of the surface area of a sphere as it expands at a rate of 1 meter/min. The formula used is A=4*pi*r^2 and the resulting function is dA/dt = 8*pi*r. The confusion arises when determining the x-axis, as the radius is 1 at t=0. This question should be posted in the Calculus & Analysis forum.
BrendanM
Im very rusty here's my problem, please help thanks!

The radius of a sphere is expanding at the rate of 1 meter/min. At t=0 the radius is 1. In earch case, find the requested function and sketch the curve.

a)The surface area of the sphere as a function of the time;
For this i took: dR/dt = 1 m/min
A=4*Pi*r^2
dA/dt=8*pi*r*dR/dt
dA/dt = 8*pi*r <--- if this is right how do i sketch this graph as a function of time??
my graph points that i ploted were (0,8pi),(1,16pi),(2,24pi) etc... but this is confusing me because at t=0 radius is 1... is my x-axis supposed to be time or radius someone help me I am confused..

Physics news on Phys.org
Please do not post the same thing in multiple places. This should really be posted only once, and in the Calculus & Analysis forum.

Hi there,

It looks like you're on the right track for finding the surface area of the sphere as a function of time. Your formula for dA/dt is correct, and you can use that to find the surface area at any given time by plugging in the value of r. Your graph points are correct as well, and they show the relationship between the surface area and time. However, since the question is asking for a graph of surface area as a function of time, your x-axis should represent time. This means that at t=0, the surface area is 0, since the radius is also 0 at that point. As time increases, the surface area also increases, as shown by your plotted points.

To sketch the curve, you can plot your points and then connect them with a smooth curve. Since we know that the surface area increases as time increases, the curve should be an upward slope. It may also help to label your axes as "time" and "surface area" to make it clear what the graph represents.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework!

What is the first homework question?

The first homework question is typically the first problem or task assigned by a teacher or instructor for students to complete as part of their coursework.

Why am I having trouble with the first homework question?

There are a variety of reasons why you may be struggling with the first homework question. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the material, not having enough time to complete it, or simply feeling overwhelmed by the assignment. It's important to address these issues and seek help if needed.

How do I approach the first homework question?

To successfully tackle the first homework question, it's important to read the instructions carefully and understand what is being asked of you. Take your time and break the question down into smaller, more manageable parts. If you're still struggling, reach out to your teacher or classmates for assistance.

Can I skip the first homework question?

Skipping the first homework question is not recommended, as it sets the foundation for the rest of the assignment and may affect your overall understanding of the material. It's important to attempt all the questions and seek help if needed.

What resources are available to help me with the first homework question?

There are many resources available to help you with the first homework question. You can reach out to your teacher, classmates, or a tutor for assistance. There are also online resources, such as instructional videos and practice problems, that can help you better understand the material and successfully complete the first homework question.