Circular ring and potential at its centre.

In summary, the problem is to find the electric potential and field at a point on the axis of a uniformly charged circular ring. The equations used are V = Kq/r and electric field = spatial derivative of voltage. The solution involves calculating the potential due to a ring by considering the contribution of each small length of charge, dq=Lambda*dl, and integrating around the ring.
lavanyasharma

Homework Statement

Consider a circular ring of radius r, uniformly hcarged with linear density lambda. Find the electric potential at a point on the axis at a distance x from the centre of the ring. Using this expression for the potential, find the electric field at this point.

Homework Equations

V = Kq/r
Electric field = spatial derivative of voltage

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble finding the potential! I do not understand how to calculate the potential due to a ring? I can't assume it to be a point hcarge!

Physics news on Phys.org
lavanyasharma said:
I'm having trouble finding the potential! I do not understand how to calculate the potential due to a ring? I can't assume it to be a point hcarge!

The charge carried on a small length dl can be considered as point charge. Calculate the contribution of the charge dq=Lambda*dl to the potential at x and integrate round the ring.

ehild

Attachments

• chargering.JPG
    chargering.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 486

1. What is a circular ring and potential at its centre?

A circular ring is a shape that is formed by a set of points that are equidistant from a fixed point, known as the centre. Potential at its centre refers to the electric potential at the centre of the ring, which is the amount of electrical potential energy per unit charge at that point.

2. How is the potential at the centre of a circular ring calculated?

The potential at the centre of a circular ring can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ring, and r is the radius of the ring.

3. What factors affect the potential at the centre of a circular ring?

The potential at the centre of a circular ring is affected by the charge of the ring, the radius of the ring, and the distance between the centre of the ring and the point where the potential is being measured.

4. Can the potential at the centre of a circular ring be negative?

Yes, the potential at the centre of a circular ring can be negative if the charge of the ring is negative. The potential is also negative if the point where the potential is being measured is closer to the ring than the radius of the ring.

5. How is the potential at the centre of a circular ring related to the electric field?

The potential at the centre of a circular ring is directly proportional to the electric field at that point. This means that if the potential increases, the electric field also increases, and vice versa.