Algebraic Sums of Currents/EMFs in Junctions/Closed Loops

• Thread starter hanagasumi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loops Sums
In summary: Thanks for the help! I did the lab today, my value for the voltage didn't add up to zero, because the errors, but it was very close to it.
hanagasumi
1. What causes the algebraic sum of the currents (signs included) flowing into each of the four junctions NOT equal to zero?
2. What causes the algebraic sum of the EMFs in each closed loop NOT equal to the algebraic sum of all the IR drops in each loop?For the first question, I thought that if the direction of the current flow is not maintained, like clockwise or counter clockwise, then the sum is not equal to zero
For the second question, I don't really know, I'm thinking that the circuit is not closed properly?

Thank you in advancing for helping me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hanagasumi said:
1. What causes the algebraic sum of the currents (signs included) flowing into each of the four junctions NOT equal to zero?
2. What causes the algebraic sum of the EMFs in each closed loop NOT equal to the algebraic sum of all the IR drops in each loop?

For the first question, I thought that if the direction of the current flow is not maintained, like clockwise or counter clockwise, then the sum is not equal to zero
For the second question, I don't really know, I'm thinking that the circuit is not closed properly?

Thank you in advancing for helping me!

Can you please post the figure that goes with this question? There are several possible answers, but it's hard to know which one to give you hints about, without seeing the actual circuit(s).

Thank you so much! Here is the diagram

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 438
berkeman said:
Can you please post the figure that goes with this question? There are several possible answers, but it's hard to know which one to give you hints about, without seeing the actual circuit(s).

There does not appear to be anything in the circuit in the diagram you have provided that would give Kirchoff's laws any problems.

hanagasumi said:

gneill said:
There does not appear to be anything in the circuit in the diagram you have provided that would give Kirchoff's laws any problems.

I agree. The issues I had in mind had to do with very high frequency effects and transmission lines.

I thought so too, because we haven't learn the Kirchhoff's laws yet in class, but we have to do this for a lab. I think from the diagram, there seems to have no problems that would violate the Kirchhoff laws, but then during the performance of the actual experiment I think there may be some possible errors during the lab itself that causes problem to the laws.

hanagasumi said:
I thought so too, because we haven't learn the Kirchhoff's laws yet in class, but we have to do this for a lab. I think from the diagram, there seems to have no problems that would violate the Kirchhoff laws, but then during the performance of the actual experiment I think there may be some possible errors during the lab itself that causes problem to the laws.

Well, if there are any errors at DC in your lab, they won't be because of any problems with KCL or KVL.

And I should say, that even at high frequencies, as long as you are careful about accounting for things, the KCL and KVL equations still apply. It would be pretty hard to work with circuits if that weren't true. You just have to be more careful about what you mean by continuity and include parasitics. No big deal.

berkeman said:
And I should say, that even at high frequencies, as long as you are careful about accounting for things, the KCL and KVL equations still apply. It would be pretty hard to work with circuits if that weren't true. You just have to be more careful about what you mean by continuity and include parasitics. No big deal.

Thanks for the help! I did the lab today, my value for the voltage didn't add up to zero, because the errors, but it was very close to it.

1. What are algebraic sums of currents/EMFs in junctions/closed loops?

Algebraic sums of currents/EMFs refer to the mathematical calculation of the overall current or electromotive force (EMF) in a circuit. This calculation takes into account the direction and magnitude of each individual current or EMF in a junction or closed loop.

2. Why is it important to calculate algebraic sums of currents/EMFs?

Calculating algebraic sums of currents/EMFs is important because it helps us understand the overall behavior of a circuit. By knowing the total current or EMF in a junction or closed loop, we can determine if the circuit is functioning properly and identify any potential issues.

3. How do you calculate algebraic sums of currents/EMFs?

To calculate the algebraic sum of currents, you add up all the currents entering the junction and subtract the currents leaving the junction. For EMFs, you add up all the EMFs in a closed loop. If the sum is positive, the current or EMF is flowing in the same direction as the assumed direction of the loop, and if it is negative, it is flowing in the opposite direction.

4. What happens if the algebraic sum of currents/EMFs is zero?

If the algebraic sum of currents/EMFs is zero, it means that the circuit is in a state of equilibrium. This could happen if the circuit is open or if the currents and EMFs in the circuit are balanced.

5. Can algebraic sums of currents/EMFs be negative?

Yes, algebraic sums of currents/EMFs can be negative. This indicates that the actual direction of the current or EMF is opposite to the assumed direction of the loop. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the sum when interpreting the results of the calculation.