How do I solve this integral: int[1/(x*sqrt(x^2-1))]dx?

• Thread starter iceman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the integral int[1/(x*sqrt(x^2-1))]dx with limits from 1 to infinity. Different approaches are discussed, such as using a u-substitution and recognizing the integral as arcsec|x|. The final answer is determined to be Pi/2.
iceman
[SOLVED] solving integrals

Hello, I need your help please?

It might seem obvious to you but I can't seem to get my head around how to solve this one.

int[1/(x*sqrt(x^2-1))]dx , from lower boundary =1, upper boundary = infinity.

Thanks indvance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Will need someone else to verify my answer but here goes nothing.
int[1/(x*sqrt(x^2-1))]dx , from lower boundary =1, upper boundary = infinity
the answer is: (replacing infinity with t) lim t->infinity[1/2ln(t^4-t^2)-1/2ln0]=
-1/2ln0, ln0 is undefined from this there is no answer.

Hope my answer is correct. (-:

I got Pi/2, and the integral to be arctan(√(x2-1). How did you approach this, LQG?

y=x*sqrt(x^2-1)
int[1/(x*sqrt(x^2-1))]dx
int[1/y]dx
as you know the inegral of 1/y=lny+c

what's wrong with it?
:smile:

∫1/ydy = ln(y)

You integrated w.r.t y, when you should have integrated w.r.t x. Try a substitution.

i see, what is your way to this problem?

First, let's use a u-substitution.

Let u = x2 - 1
x = √(u+1)

(u cannot be less than 0, so we can ignore the negative case)

Then, du/dx = 2x, so du = 1/2x

The integral ∫1/(x*√(x2-1)dx now becomes

∫1/(2u+2)√(u)du which simplifies to 1/2∫du/sqrt(u)(u+1)

Now, we notice something...if y = arctan(z), dy/dz = 1/(y2+1). So, if y = arctan(√z), dy/dz = 1/(2√z(z+1)), which looks exactly like our integral. Thus we now know 1/2∫du/sqrt(u)(u+1) = arctan(√u). (Can't think of a method that doesn't use foresight just yet).

Now, we have the problem of actually evaluating this from x = 1 to infinity. We shan't bother substituting u in terms of x. Instead, we work out the values of u at x=1 and infinity (0 and infinity respectively).

lim t-> infinity (arctan(t)) - arctan(0) = Pi/2 - 0 = Pi/2, since the tangent function approaches infinity as the angle approaches Pi/2 radians.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Lonewolf
First, let's use a u-substitution.

Let u = x2 - 1
x = √(u-1)

(u cannot be less than 0, so we can ignore the negative case)

Then, du/dx = 2x, so du = 1/2x

The integral ∫1/(x*√(x2-1)dx now becomes

∫1/(2u+2)√(u)du which simplifies to 1/2∫du/sqrt(u)(u+1)

Now, we notice something...if y = arctan(z), dy/dz = 1/(y2+1). So, if y = arctan(√z), dy/dz = 1/(2√z(z+1)), which looks exactly like our integral. Thus we now know 1/2∫du/sqrt(u)(u+1) = arctan(√u). (Can't think of a method that doesn't use foresight just yet).

Now, we have the problem of actually evaluating this from x = 1 to infinity. We shan't bother substituting u in terms of x. Instead, we work out the values of u at x=1 and infinity (0 and infinity respectively).

lim t-> infinity (arctan(t)) - arctan(0) = Pi/2 - 0 = Pi/2, since the tangent function approaches infinity as the angle approaches Pi/2 radians.
You have a mistake it should be x=(u+1)^1/2

Yes, it should. Well spotted. Just a typo though, the result holds. I'll go edit it.

Last edited:
i don't understand how you got du/dx=2x
shouldnt it be: x^2-1/u+1?

The substitution u = x2 - 1 was used. Differentiate this w.r.t. x to get du/dx. Seperate the differentials to get du in terms of dx. We need this to integrate in terms of du.

this integral is made easiest by recognizing it's just arcsec|x| (abs bars or not depending on how you define arcsec)

arcsec(inf) - arcsec(1) = pi/2 - 0 = pi/2

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

Why do we need to solve integrals?

Solving integrals allows us to find the exact value of a function over a given interval, instead of just estimating it. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating distances, volumes, and probabilities.

How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, we use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. These techniques allow us to manipulate the integral into a form that is easier to solve, and then we use basic integration rules to find the answer.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it is evaluated over a specific interval. It gives a single numerical value as the answer. In contrast, an indefinite integral does not have any limits of integration and is represented by a function, as it can have multiple possible solutions.

What are some common applications of solving integrals?

Solving integrals has many real-world applications, including finding the area and volume of irregular shapes, calculating work and distance in physics problems, and determining probabilities in statistics. It is also used in engineering, economics, and many other fields.