Do you study organic chemistry before biochemistry?

In summary: Without a strong foundation in organic chemistry, one will struggle to understand the concepts and mechanisms of biochemistry.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
My studies have nothing to do with biology, but I'm just a curious gal so I thought to pick up some ebooks or whatever. I got a good biology base and a good chemistry base, but I never tackled anything in the realm of organic chemistry. I'm more interested in learning about the chemistry of living things than organic chemistry in general and what we can do with it. I'm not sure what's the official study order. Should I take on organic chemistry first or can I start right away with biochemistry?

Physics news on Phys.org
As a biochemist, I would recommend taking introductory organic chemistry before taking biochemistry. Organic chemistry introduces you to many concepts about chemical reactions that are important to know for biochemistry. For example, organic chemistry will give you a sense of the basic properties and reactivities of many functional groups in chemistry. This knowledge is essential to understanding the properties of the various biomolecules you will encounter in biochemistry. Similarly organic chemistry teaches the basics of understanding chemical reaction mechanisms, such as the concepts of nucleophiles and electrophiles, and how to "push electrons" to understand why one functional group will react with another. Without this basic knowledge, it would be very difficult to understand the enzyme mechanisms you learn about in biochemistry.

In essence, if you are interested in the chemistry of living things, organic chemistry (as well as physical chemistry) teaches you the basic set of rules by which biochemical systems work. Biochemistry shows you how these rules are applied in practice inside a living organism.

Great post, thank you.

dear Femme_physics,

i'm a chemist and my dad was, too. i'd definitely recommend that you take organic chem before biochem, as the latter builds on the former. for what it's worth, my favorite is physical chemistry, especially thermodynamics.

baxishta

If you are seeking a deep understanding of the subject matter, I agree with the sequence of organic chemistry followed by biochemistry.

However, if your goal is primarily self erudition and your area of interest is in the functioning of living things, I suggest you skip both organic and biochem and pick up a cellular and molecular biology book, such as Molecular Biology of the Cell (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21054/). Such a text provides enough rudimentary biochemistry material (very little if any organic) to be able to understand the following chapters yet will take you through many more topics of closer relevance to living things. Again, this is not a recommendation for course order, only for the more casual learning that seems closer to how I interpreted your stated goal.

Organic chemistry is an absolute prerequisite to studying biochemistry at any serious level.

1. What is the difference between organic chemistry and biochemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of carbon-containing compounds and their properties, reactions, and synthesis. Biochemistry is the study of the chemical processes and substances that occur in living organisms, including the structure and function of biomolecules.

2. Why is it important to study organic chemistry before biochemistry?

Organic chemistry provides the foundation for understanding the structure, function, and reactions of biomolecules in biochemistry. Without a strong understanding of organic chemistry, it would be difficult to grasp the more complex concepts in biochemistry.

3. How does organic chemistry relate to biochemistry?

Organic chemistry provides the building blocks for the study of biochemistry. Many of the reactions and processes that occur in living organisms involve organic molecules, making the two fields closely related.

4. Can you study biochemistry without a background in organic chemistry?

It is possible to study biochemistry without a background in organic chemistry, but it may be challenging. Without a solid understanding of organic chemistry, it may be difficult to fully grasp the concepts and principles in biochemistry.

5. What are some examples of organic molecules studied in biochemistry?

Biochemistry involves the study of a wide range of organic molecules, including carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids. These molecules are essential for the structure and function of living organisms.