Can Overstudying Lead to Burnout for Engineering Students?

In summary, the Electrical Engineer student feels like he can't relax and falls behind in his classes. He tries to study, but it feels like he can't put anything in. He should do intense physical exercise to free up his mind and improve his grades.
graycolor
I feel like I can't relax it's Spring break and I still can't relax. I'm an Electrical Engineer student and falling behind my classes. I fell behind, because I was lazy and to catch up I decided just to put in more hours into studying. I'm studying and I'm trying and it feels like I can't put nothing in. I probably study more than my classmates and I'm still not getting good grades. Some may just say I'm dumb, actually I do feel dumb at the moment, but it didn't use to be like this. I was always above average in all my classes, now it feels I can't do anything, my algebra seems to get worst. Basic concepts just don't sink anymore what gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
sometimes you just leave stuff too late. You're concepts don't build off of one another and your state of mind is probably high stress. You should do intense physical exercise, no joke. You will sleep better, eat more, have more energy, and it will free up your mind.

How are you studying?

On the one hand, there is understanding and, on the other hand there is drill. You can understand how to do a certain kind of problem but if you haven't drilled at doing it, you will slowly stumble through it on tests. You can drill at doing a certain kind of problem and not understanding what you're doing. Then any slight change or probing question that might happen will throw you. You have to balance these types of learning.

People have different speed limits for their algebraic calculations. Do you write them down too quickly in a scribbly manner, all over the page and make errors because of that? Some calculations require a degree of imagination. If you always think there is only one way to go to the next step in a calculation, you aren't using your imagination enough.

There are (at least) two different ways of remembering material. You can simply go over it and trust that a normal, intelligent person will recall things that he understood. Or you can remember things like a child - use songs, rhymes, repeated phrases. If you are agitated and lacking self confidence, remembering things like a child is going to work best. Just be careful that when you make up songs or phrases that you state the facts correctly. (You might also read books on memory and look into the ancient memory technique of building "mental cathedrals" - I've never tried that myself).

Other things I tried myself are mentioned in the thread:
Physics Forums > PF Lounge > General Discussion
Subliminal Learning While You Sleep & Other Inventive Learning Methods

There is a difference between looking at a book and thinking that you are studying and actually learning. I don't know I always study alone. But they say that studying with other people will help a zillion.

As a scientist, it is important to understand the complexities of the human brain and how it functions. It is not uncommon for individuals to experience burnout or mental fatigue when studying for extended periods of time. The brain, like any other organ, needs rest and relaxation in order to function at its best.

It is concerning that you feel like you cannot relax during your spring break and that you are falling behind in your classes. It is important to find a balance between studying and taking breaks to recharge your brain. It is also important to address any underlying issues that may be causing you to feel overwhelmed, such as feeling lazy or struggling with basic concepts.

It is possible that your current study methods may not be effective for you and may need to be adjusted. It is also important to seek assistance from your professors or a tutor if you are struggling with understanding certain concepts. Remember that intelligence is not a fixed trait and it is normal to experience ups and downs in academic performance.

It is important to take care of your mental and emotional well-being in addition to your academic success. Make sure to take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy, as this can help improve your overall cognitive function. Don't be too hard on yourself and remember that with proper self-care and effective study strategies, you can overcome this challenge and succeed in your studies.

1. Why is over studying bad for the brain?

Over studying can be harmful for the brain because it can lead to mental fatigue and burnout. When the brain is constantly working and not given enough rest, it can become overwhelmed and unable to function effectively.

2. How does over studying affect memory?

Over studying can negatively impact memory by causing information overload. When the brain is constantly bombarded with new information without enough time to process and consolidate it, it can lead to difficulty in retaining and recalling that information.

3. Can over studying cause brain damage?

While over studying may not directly cause brain damage, it can lead to mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. These conditions can have long-term effects on the brain if left untreated.

4. How do I know if I am over studying?

Some signs that you may be over studying include feeling mentally exhausted, having difficulty concentrating, and experiencing physical symptoms such as headaches or sleep disturbances. It is important to listen to your body and take breaks when needed.

5. How can I prevent over studying?

To prevent over studying, it is important to establish a healthy study routine that includes breaks and rest periods. It is also helpful to prioritize and manage your time effectively, as well as engage in activities outside of studying to give your brain a break.