Complex Gaussian Distribution

In summary: The PDF in real space for a multivariate Gaussian is given by:f_{\mathbf{x}}(\mathbf{x})=\frac{1}{\text{det}(\pi\mathbf{R}_x)}\text{exp}\left(-(\mathbf{x}-\overline{\mathbf{x}})^H\mathbf{R}_x^{-1}(\mathbf{x}-\overline{\mathbf{x}})\right)The PDF in complex space for a multivariate Gaussian is given by:f_{\mathbf{x}}(\mathbf{x})=\frac{
EngWiPy
Hi,

Suppose that an n-dimensional vector [tex]\mathbf{z}=\begin{pmatrix}z_1&z_2&\cdots & z_n\end{pmatrix}^T[/tex] is characterized as a zero-mean circularly symmetric complex Gaussian random vector. What is the distribution (the probability distribution function PDF) of this vector in both: complex and real representations?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of "circularly symmetric" in n dimensions ? Do you mean "spherically symmetric" in the sense that [itex] |z_1|^2 + |z_2|^2 + ...|z_n|^2 = c [/itex] is a surface where the PDF is constant? And can we also assume that [tex] |RE(z_1)|^2 + |IM( z_1)|^2 + |RE(z_2)|^ + |IM( z_2)|^2 + ... |RE( z_n)|^2 + |IM (z_n)|^2 = c [/tex] is a surface where the PDF is constant?

Is [itex] |z| [/itex] the quantity that has a gaussian distribution?

Stephen Tashi said:
What is the meaning of "circularly symmetric" in n dimensions ? Do you mean "spherically symmetric" in the sense that [itex] |z_1|^2 + |z_2|^2 + ...|z_n|^2 = c [/itex] is a surface where the PDF is constant? And can we also assume that [tex] |RE(z_1)|^2 + |IM( z_1)|^2 + |RE(z_2)|^ + |IM( z_2)|^2 + ... |RE( z_n)|^2 + |IM (z_n)|^2 = c [/tex] is a surface where the PDF is constant?

Is [itex] |z| [/itex] the quantity that has a gaussian distribution?

A complex random vector [tex]\mathbf{x}\in C^n[/tex] is said to be Gaussian, if the real vector [tex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}\in R^{2n}[/tex] consisting of the real and imaginary parts of [tex]\mathbf{x}[/tex] as [tex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}=\begin{pmatrix}\text{Re}\{\mathbf{x}\}&\text{Im}\{\mathbf{x}\}\end{pmatrix}^T[/tex] is Gaussian.

A complex Gaussian random vector [tex]\mathbf{x}[/tex] is said to be circularly symmetric if the covariance of the corresponding [tex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}[/tex] has the following structure:

[tex]E(\left(\mathbf{\hat{x}-\mu}\right)\left(\mathbf{\hat{x}-\mu}\right)^H)=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}\text{Re}(Q)&-\text{Im}(Q)\\\text{Im}(Q)&\text{Re}(Q)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where [tex]E(\mathbf{\hat{x}})=\mu[/tex] and [tex]Q[/tex] is some non negative matrix.

If I take a Gaussian distribution of the components of a vector to mean a multivariate Gaussian distribution and take the covariance matrix as given, is the question "What is the PDF of a multivariate Gaussian distribution?". I guess I still don't understand the question.

Stephen Tashi said:
If I take a Gaussian distribution of the components of a vector to mean a multivariate Gaussian distribution and take the covariance matrix as given, is the question "What is the PDF of a multivariate Gaussian distribution?". I guess I still don't understand the question.

That is right, but for complex Gaussian. Actually, I got the result, which is:

[tex]f_{\mathbf{z}}(\mathbf{z})=\frac{1}{\pi^n\text{det}(\mathbf{R}_z)}\text{exp}\left(-(\mathbf{z}-\overline{\mathbf{z}})^H\mathbf{R}_z^{-1}(\mathbf{z}-\overline{\mathbf{z}})\right)[/tex]

Now the problem with me was that, I read in some paper that the distribution is given by:

[tex]f_{\mathbf{z}}(\mathbf{z})=\frac{1}{\text{det}(\pi\mathbf{R}_z)}\text{exp}\left(-(\mathbf{z}-\overline{\mathbf{z}})^H\mathbf{R}_z^{-1}(\mathbf{z}-\overline{\mathbf{z}})\right)[/tex]

But knowing that:

[tex]\text{det}(cA)=c^n\text{det}(A)[/tex]

solved the confusion.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ok, now what if Z is a circularly symmetric complex Gaussian matrix not vector, what then the PDF of Z?

Any suggestion?

From the appropriate point of view, matrices are vectors. What property would an nxn "circularly symmetric" matrix have that an n^2 dimensional circularly symmetric vector wouldn't?

Stephen Tashi said:
From the appropriate point of view, matrices are vectors. What property would an nxn "circularly symmetric" matrix have that an n^2 dimensional circularly symmetric vector wouldn't?

So, you are saying it is just like the vector case. But I have a formula in matrix form, and I am not sure how the authors got there. I mean it is like the following:

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi^{2NK}\text{det}^KQ}\text{exp}\left\{-\|Q^{-1/2}(Y-HX)\|_F^2\right\}[/tex]

where Y is 2N-by-K matrix, Q is 2N-by-2N, H is 2N-by-M, and X is M-by-K. Any hint in this?

1. What is a Complex Gaussian Distribution?

A Complex Gaussian Distribution is a type of statistical distribution that is used to describe the behavior of complex valued random variables. It is a generalization of the Gaussian distribution, which is used to describe the behavior of real valued random variables.

2. How is a Complex Gaussian Distribution different from a Gaussian Distribution?

A Complex Gaussian Distribution differs from a Gaussian Distribution in that it takes into account the complex nature of the random variable. This means that it has both real and imaginary components, whereas a Gaussian Distribution only has real components.

3. What are the key characteristics of a Complex Gaussian Distribution?

The key characteristics of a Complex Gaussian Distribution include its mean, variance, and probability density function. The mean is the average value of the distribution, while the variance measures its spread. The probability density function describes the likelihood of observing a particular value.

4. What are the applications of Complex Gaussian Distribution?

Complex Gaussian Distribution has many applications in different fields such as signal processing, communication systems, and image processing. It is also used in modeling complex phenomena in physics, economics, and finance.

5. How is a Complex Gaussian Distribution used in signal processing?

In signal processing, a Complex Gaussian Distribution is used to model complex signals, which have both real and imaginary components. This allows for more accurate modeling and analysis of signals in communication systems, radar systems, and other related fields.