Benefits of Oxidizing Gold: Rust Prevention & More

In summary, the benefits of oxidizing gold are that it prevents it from rusting, but there are additional benefits such as the preparation of a DPPC membrane protein deposition.
devious_
What are the benefits of oxidizing gold? I suppose that prevents it from rusting, but are there any other benefits?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I thought one of the reasons gold was so useful was because it didn't oxidize.

then again I'm not a chemist, so maybe someone's discovered that gold really dose oxidize.

Gold oxidization is mainly used for refining purposes, as it is sometimes not sufficiently pure, especially for conductors. Gold amalgams (alloys with mercury) can be broken down by oxidization.

In addition, gold ores are processed with oxidization with "King's water" ([itex]\displaystyle 3HCl + HNO_3[/itex]) and treated with cyanide, afterwards reduced with zinc rods; so very pure (up to 99.99%) quality gold can be prepared.

As imabug said, gold isn't oxidized, since it is an inert metal; you hardly prepare a [itex][AuCl_4]^-[/itex] complex and can easily reduce it to the metal with elemental potassium, etc.

I'm quite late to this discussion but actually it's very relevant to some recent issues that have come up in my lab:

I'm looking to oxidize a 50nm gold layer on the back of a BK-7 glass prism. Despite being quite familiar with the use of Aqua Regia, I want to oxidize gold and not remove it from the back of the prism.

Our UV cleaner isn't powerful enough to oxidize it, so I've been thinking of using Nitric acid. Can anybody give me an idea of how long this should take, how much gold will be oxidized, etc.? I'm trying to get an idea of how this should go before I actually proceed.

Thanks

Any liquid capable of oxidizing gold will certainly remove it from the glass. Think low pressure air plasma for your application.

chemisttree said:
Any liquid capable of oxidizing gold will certainly remove it from the glass. Think low pressure air plasma for your application.

Seconding this; gold oxide is soluble in aqueous solutions.

Thank you for your assistance.

This is a bit of a problem then, and my complete lack of Chemistry knowledge compounds this.

My ultimate goal is the deposition of DPPC (a membrane protein) on to gold by vesicle fusion. The paper that I've been referencing claims they used a gold substrate that was oxidized by UV lamp... As I said, apparently our UV cleaner isn't powerful enough to do this, and as was pointed out, oxidation by acqueous solution is not an option...

Perhaps you can expand on this low pressure air plasma? I'm not familiar with it.

Thank you

Here it is...

http://www.3dtllc.com/plasmadyne.html"
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TFR-4F2V57F-2&_user=10&_coverDate=02%2F01%2F2005&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1254629359&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=49c9b1720182cd1e2d33919bea90656b"
http://surfxtechnologies.com/?gclid=CIbrl5frwKACFQdY2godMHccSw"
http://www.tantec.com/Corona-and-Plasma-Treatment-products/Surface-treaters/corona-treatment-and-plasma-treatment.html"

Cleans and oxidizes in one easy step.

Last edited by a moderator:
FiberOptix said:
Thank you for your assistance.

This is a bit of a problem then, and my complete lack of Chemistry knowledge compounds this.

My ultimate goal is the deposition of DPPC (a membrane protein) on to gold by vesicle fusion. The paper that I've been referencing claims they used a gold substrate that was oxidized by UV lamp... As I said, apparently our UV cleaner isn't powerful enough to do this, and as was pointed out, oxidation by acqueous solution is not an option...

Perhaps you can expand on this low pressure air plasma? I'm not familiar with it.

Thank you

Almost surely they meant that the gold was exposed to UV-generated ozone and oxygen radicals, and that it was the organic contaminants that were oxidized (and volatalized) to leave the gold as clean as possible before deposition. This is a common procedure.

1. What is the process of oxidizing gold and how does it prevent rust?

The process of oxidizing gold involves exposing it to oxygen, either through chemical means or natural exposure, which causes a chemical reaction that creates a layer of oxide on the surface of the gold. This oxide layer acts as a barrier between the gold and any external elements, preventing them from coming into contact with the gold and causing rust.

2. Can oxidizing gold be used for other purposes besides rust prevention?

Yes, oxidizing gold has several other benefits besides rust prevention. It can enhance the aesthetic appearance of gold by giving it a unique color and texture. It can also improve the durability and strength of gold, making it more resistant to wear and tear.

3. Is oxidizing gold a permanent process?

No, oxidizing gold is not a permanent process. Over time, the oxide layer created on the surface of the gold can wear off, especially if the gold is exposed to harsh conditions. However, the process can be repeated periodically to maintain the benefits of oxidizing gold.

4. Are there any downsides to oxidizing gold?

One potential downside of oxidizing gold is that it can slightly decrease the value of the gold. This is because the oxidation process alters the chemical composition of the gold, making it less pure. Additionally, if the gold is not properly cleaned and maintained, the oxide layer can become uneven and affect the appearance of the gold.

5. Can any type of gold be oxidized?

No, not all types of gold can be oxidized. This process is typically used for gold that is not considered high-quality, as it can improve the appearance and durability of lower quality gold. However, pure gold (24 karat) cannot be oxidized as it is already resistant to rust and other forms of corrosion.