Geometry Book Advice for High Schoolers on a Budget

In summary, the best book for learning geometry would be Euclid's Elements. However, if you are looking for a more pedagogical approach, course notes or college textbooks may be more helpful. It is important to preview the material and make sure it assumes knowledge you already have. Focus on "Analytic Geometry" or Euclidean Geometry, and avoid Differential or Manifold. If you are planning on further math studies, it may be beneficial to choose a book with proofs.
Mathfan01
I missed a lot of math in my high school and I hated geometry most. What geometry book would be a good start for me? I found a lot of them on amazon.com but I am tight in money and I don't want to pay for one book. Any honest advice?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not joking at all: the best ever geometry book are Euclid's Elements.

You can download geometry course notes from Oxford MI http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/courses#part%20a".

I think "good book" can mean a few different things, at least when it comes to math ... Sometimes books that are intended to be strictly pedagogical are more helpful for learning an entirely new subject. So course notes are usually pretty good for that, or first- or second-year college textbooks depending on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
If at all possible, try to preview it.
For example, see if books.google.com has a PDF.
Every textbook has to make assumptions about what the student already understands. As much as humanly possible, you want to make sure it assumes stuff you already know.

Also, the similar threads seems to have several answers.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=221706
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139325
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=463361

Also, since you mention high school level, focus on "Analytic Geometry" or Euclidean Geometry, and avoid Differential or Manifold.
I'm not real familiar with non-Euclidean geometry, but it's not essential. (Got a B.S. in Math, pretty much only knowing "non-Euclidean geometries allow parallel lines which intersect.")
You might need to pick one with proofs, depending on how far your math studies will ultimately extend.

Last edited:

I can understand your frustration and hesitation in purchasing a geometry book while on a budget. However, I would highly recommend investing in a reliable geometry book as it will not only help you with your current studies, but also serve as a valuable resource for future math courses. With that being said, there are some budget-friendly options that you can consider.

Firstly, you can check with your local library to see if they have any geometry books available for borrowing. This is a cost-effective option as you won't have to purchase the book and can return it once you are done with it.

Another option is to look for used geometry books. Many online platforms, such as Amazon, offer used books at a lower price. You can also check with your school or classmates to see if anyone is willing to sell or lend their geometry book.

If purchasing a physical book is not feasible, you can also consider e-books or online resources. Many websites offer free or low-cost geometry materials, such as Khan Academy or OpenStax. These resources may not be as comprehensive as a physical book, but they can still provide a good foundation for your studies.

Lastly, I would advise you to prioritize your learning and invest in a good geometry book, even if it means cutting back on other expenses. A solid understanding of geometry will not only benefit you in your high school studies, but also in your future academic and professional endeavors. I hope this advice helps and wish you all the best in your studies.

1. What is the best Geometry book for high schoolers on a budget?

The best Geometry book for high schoolers on a budget would be "Geometry: A Comprehensive Course" by Dan Pedoe. It is affordable and covers all the necessary topics in a clear and concise manner.

2. Are there any free resources for studying Geometry?

Yes, there are many free resources for studying Geometry such as Khan Academy, MathHelp.com, and GeometryCoach.com. These websites offer video lessons, practice problems, and quizzes for students to improve their understanding of Geometry.

3. Is it necessary to purchase a textbook for Geometry?

While having a textbook can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many schools have online resources or provide textbooks for students to use. Additionally, there are plenty of free online resources available for studying Geometry.

4. How can I save money on purchasing a Geometry book?

You can save money on purchasing a Geometry book by buying a used one or renting it from a textbook rental website. You can also ask your school if they offer any discounts or if they have any textbooks available for students to borrow.

5. Are there any online resources specifically for Geometry on a budget?

Yes, there are many online resources specifically for Geometry on a budget. Some examples include OpenStax, which offers free online textbooks, and MathTV, which provides video lessons and practice problems for Geometry. You can also check out free apps such as GeoGebra and Desmos for interactive learning.