Could quantum gravity itself have any answers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for quantum gravity to provide insights into various fields and potentially lead to a resolution of the measurement problem. The concept of decoherence is also mentioned as a possible explanation for wave-function collapse, but it does not provide a mechanism for the actual collapse. There is also mention of the Deutsch-Wallace reading of Everett and the possibility of the dS/CFT theory addressing quantum effects, but it is uncertain if it will also explain wavefunction collapse. The conversation also touches on the idea that gravity may play a role in wave-function collapse.
Fyzix
Could however the quantum gravity works itself be the solution to the measurement problem?

I'm not talking about the whole theoretic approach to QG, but just the weird quantum effects being directly caused by the quantum gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fyzix, a complete theory of quantum gravity will provide us insights into every field imaginable :) so yes it will lead to some resolution of the measurement problem, but only time will tell. For a long time, if I am correct, decoherence has been adapted as the "modern" view of wave-function collapse. It also seems believable since it arises as a quantum system interacts with its environment in a thermodynamically irreversible way. Other than that, different interpretations of QM give diff. reasons for the collapse. Note that decoherence does not provide a mechanism for the actual wave function collapse; rather it provides a mechanism for the appearance of wavefunction collapse. The quantum nature of the system is simply "leaked" into the environment so that a total superposition of the wavefunction still exists, but exists at least for all practical purposes beyond the realm of measurement.

dhillonv10 said:
Fyzix, a complete theory of quantum gravity will provide us insights into every field imaginable :) so yes it will lead to some resolution of the measurement problem, but only time will tell. For a long time, if I am correct, decoherence has been adapted as the "modern" view of wave-function collapse. It also seems believable since it arises as a quantum system interacts with its environment in a thermodynamically irreversible way. Other than that, different interpretations of QM give diff. reasons for the collapse. Note that decoherence does not provide a mechanism for the actual wave function collapse; rather it provides a mechanism for the appearance of wavefunction collapse. The quantum nature of the system is simply "leaked" into the environment so that a total superposition of the wavefunction still exists, but exists at least for all practical purposes beyond the realm of measurement.

Aren't what you are explaining here really the Deutsch-Wallace reading of Everett?
So you are a proponent of MWI? I thought you had some ideas about the quantum mysteries could perhaps be solved by looking at the horizon?

Fyzix, i am not exactly sure if it is or not, i simply wrote down what a "mainstream" theorist might say, my idea was about a different topic (dS/CFT), not wavefunctional collapse :)

So the ideas surrounding the dS/CFT would not explain quantum effects if right?

Fyzix, quantum effects is a broad term, if we focus only on wavefunctional collapse, i don't think dS/CFT answers that, the problem being that from what I understand, it establishes a link between string/M/F theory in the bulk and a field theory on the boundary. My ideas just deal with a mapping, however its hard to tell what advanced might come by extending dS/CFT. Once dS/CFT is complete, it'd be like M-theory in some sense, we got a ton of good physics and advances from it, so after the correspondence is complete, it might answer wavefunction collapse. Only time will tell. One thing I know for a fact is the ideas that I am working on with other people, would address one of the quantum effect, nonlocality, to some extent.

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is believed to govern the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as at the level of subatomic particles.

2. What are the main challenges in studying quantum gravity?

One of the main challenges in studying quantum gravity is the lack of experimental evidence. The effects of quantum gravity are only expected to be observed at extremely high energies, which are currently beyond our technological capabilities to produce. Additionally, there is no widely accepted theory of quantum gravity, making it difficult to conduct experiments or make predictions.

3. How does quantum gravity differ from general relativity and quantum mechanics?

Quantum gravity incorporates elements of both general relativity and quantum mechanics, but it also introduces new concepts that are not present in either theory. For example, it suggests that space and time are not continuous but rather discrete and quantized, and it also proposes the existence of additional dimensions beyond the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time.

4. Can quantum gravity provide answers to the fundamental questions of physics?

Quantum gravity is still a developing field, so it is not yet known if it will be able to provide definitive answers to the fundamental questions of physics. However, it is believed that by merging the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics, quantum gravity may be able to provide a more complete understanding of the universe, particularly in regards to the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales.

5. How is quantum gravity related to string theory?

String theory is one of the leading theories of quantum gravity, as it attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics by proposing that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings. While string theory is not yet proven, it is a promising avenue for exploring the concept of quantum gravity.