Build an Egg Transporter in Physics Class

• Thread starter brice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary: HitSquad:This sounds like it would work! However, I'm not sure how you would get the weighted object to stay on the tube while it's moving. You might need to use something like a clamp to hold it in place. Cliff_J:You're right, this might not be the best idea. I'll try to think of another way. Thanks for your input.
brice
Hello everyone,

In my physics class, we need to build a machine that has to hold an egg and move across two meters on a rope as fast as possible.

There are some rules to follow:

- The machine must not be bigger than 25 cm long and 50 cm large. As you can see there is no height limit.

- No part of the machine must touch the ground or the wood that holds the rope.

- We can't push the machine.

- The egg must be over the rope.

- These are forbidden: machine that can cause injuries, gas under pressure, chemical reactions, heat (flames), electricity, batteries, engines and lasers.

- The rope will be a 1/4 inch yellow rope.

- The machine must make it in less than 30 seconds.

That's it for the rules. Now let's see how the rope will be. On the first round, the rope will be horizontal. For the second round, the rope will have an angle of 20 degrees(going up). For the third round, the rope will have an angle of 45 degrees.

Well that's about it. The attachment is a zip containing an image explaining how the rope and stuff will be set up.

Thank you a lot for helping me,
Julien.

Attachments

• set up2.zip
    31.9 KB · Views: 326
Engineering news on Phys.org
Zip is corrupt, or is it just me?

Well, it works for me, maybe it's because you don't have the lattest vresion of winzip.

Comon you guys are geniuses! Don't you have any ideas?

Well the zip *still* doesn't work for me, but my thoughts involve a pulley wheel on the rope being spun by means of a falling weight on a string wound around the pulley spindle. Obviously you need to think up some method for keeping the egg above the rope. But as I say, it's difficult to picture the problem only using your description.

What are your ideas?

Hey,

Thank you for your idea. I was thinking of using ballons filled with Helium to lift the machine when the slope of the rope gets very high. This was, i only need a simple way to make it on the horizontal slope. To get the egg above the rope i thought using a heavier materials at the bottom and lighter materials on top so the egg can aways stay on top. I just need to think about a way to make it through the horizontal rope using strings. I hope you can help me with that.

Julien.

It takes an very large amount of helium to get much lift at all. Its like a couple large paper-clips per ballon.

A toothed pulley (think of teeth like thumbtacks that can get mechanical grip 'in' rope) would allow motion and traction. Using thumbtacks will turn the pulley/rope into a sprocket/chain. Using something like a clock spring could provide propulsion at low weight. Then you'd need to work out the expected weight and figure out the gearing or spring strength to get it up the inclines, it would fly on the horizontal section.

Cliff

File not corrupt

brewnog said:
Zip is corrupt, or is it just me?
If I left-click on it, XP says it is corrupt. If I right-click on it and save it to my desktop, I can then right-click on that to extract it and all is hunky-dory. http://www.efn.org/~callen/ropechallenge.jpg it is on my webspace.

Last edited:
Top fuel dragsters and egg transporters

brice said:
To get the egg above the rope i thought using a heavier materials at the bottom and lighter materials on top so the egg can aways stay on top.
You don't necessarily need the bottom to be heavier than the top. You just need it to have more force-leverage. I.e., if it extends far below, it can be much lighter than the egg and still keep it on top. Top fuel dragsters operate on this principle, with a very light but very long front end keeping the dragster from flipping over backwards during acceleration.

Helium balloons are arguably 'compressed gas', which is forbidden.

Sorry!

hitssquad,- cheers for that.

Thank you guys for answering.

Cliff_J:

Ur right, i don't think helium will work since its not enought powerfull. Your idea using thumbtacks is pretty good, but is a clock spring enough powerfull to lift that kind of machine with constant force?

hitssquad:

I see, this is going to help since the clock spring would not have a lot of power to lift a weight. I'll keep your principle in mind.

brewnog:

Yep, you'r right. It is compressed gaz but its not very compressed. I'll forget this idea then :cry:

Where should i start with? (we are going to start making the plans and buying parts this thursday.

Thank you very much,

Julien

I am not sure if this would work but take a tube with a very strong spring inside and a large weighted object hooked to it, compress the spring and have a hair trigger hooked to it and I think it would propel forward even though the weighted object would still be attached. I know have a string hooked to the object so it will only throw it out so far allowing it to be safe.

A neat little contest. Another way you could do it is to just use a hanging weight since there is no height restriction. Just use that mass to power a couple wheels clamped together on the rope. The diagram is too low rez for me to see how much that weight in the diagram weighs, but you could do something like have that hanging mass charge a spring and use that to climb higher on the rope. There is a whole bunch of stuff you could do.

1. How can an Egg Transporter be built?

An Egg Transporter can be built using various materials such as cardboard, straws, rubber bands, and more. The basic design involves creating a structure that can hold and protect the egg while being transported from one location to another.

2. What principles of physics are involved in building an Egg Transporter?

Building an Egg Transporter involves understanding concepts such as force, momentum, and inertia. The structure must be able to withstand external forces and maintain the egg's momentum to prevent it from breaking.

3. How can we test the effectiveness of an Egg Transporter?

The effectiveness of an Egg Transporter can be tested by conducting a drop test. This involves dropping the transporter from a certain height and observing if the egg remains intact. It can also be tested by increasing the weight of the egg and repeating the drop test.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when building an Egg Transporter?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building an Egg Transporter include using materials that are too heavy or too weak, not securing the egg properly, and not considering the impact of external forces such as wind or friction. It is also important to test the transporter multiple times before using it for the final test.

5. How can building an Egg Transporter in Physics class help students learn?

Building an Egg Transporter in Physics class can help students understand and apply concepts of physics in a practical and hands-on manner. It also promotes critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. Additionally, it can help students see the real-world applications of physics in everyday life.