If W is a subset of V, then dim(W) ≤ dim(V)

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to extend a basis of W to form a basis of V if and only if the dimension of W is equal to or less than the dimension of V. This can be proven by considering the fact that for any vector space, the number of linearly independent vectors in any basis is equal to its dimension. If the dimension of W is larger than the dimension of V, then there will be at least one vector in the basis of W that is not in the basis of V, making it impossible to extend the basis of W to form a basis of V. Therefore, dimension(W) ≤ dimension(V).
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

I need to prove this:

W, V are linear subspaces
W is a subset of V

-----> dimension(W) ≤ dimension(V)

Homework Equations

dimension(X): # of linearly independent vectors in any basis of X

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to think this through, but getting stalled.

Hmmmm...

Suppose dim(W) > dim(V). Given any basis of W and any basis of V, there will be some vector w* such that w* is contained in the basis of W but not in the basis of V.

... somehow I'm supposed to deduce a contradiction (if this is even the most efficient way to the conclusion).

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jamin2112! :smile:

Take a basis of W, can you extend this basis to form a basis of V??

micromass said:

Are you talking about my supposition where dim(W)>dim(V)?

No, I'm not. I doubt that a proof by contradiction will be the most efficient route here :frown:

micromass said:

If dim(W) = dim(V), yes;
if dim(W) < dim(V), no.

Can't we just use the fact that every element in W is in V??

micromass said:

Jamin2112 said:
If dim(W) = dim(V), yes;
if dim(W) < dim(V), no.

Why not? The x-axis is a subset of [itex]R^2[/itex] and a vector space of dimension 1. It has {<1, 0>} as basis. Adding <0, 1> to that set gives {<1, 0>, <0, 1>}, extending the first basis to a basis of [itex]R^2[/itex].

What does "subset" mean in the context of this statement?

In mathematics, a subset is a set that is contained within another set. In this statement, it means that W is a smaller set that is contained within the larger set V.

What is the meaning of "dim" in this statement?

"Dim" stands for dimension, which is a mathematical term that refers to the number of linearly independent vectors in a vector space. In this statement, it represents the size or extent of a vector space.

Why is it important to note that dim(W) is less than or equal to dim(V)?

This statement is important because it is a fundamental property of vector spaces. It helps us understand the relationship between two sets and how they are related in terms of size and structure.

Can you provide an example of a subset where dim(W) is equal to dim(V)?

Yes, an example of this would be a vector space where W is a subspace of V and both have the same dimension. For instance, if W is the xy-plane in a 3-dimensional space, and V is the entire 3-dimensional space, then both have a dimension of 2.

What are the implications of this statement for vector spaces?

This statement has several implications for vector spaces. It tells us that a subset of a vector space can never have a higher dimension than the original space. It also implies that the dimension of a vector space is a fundamental property that cannot be changed by taking subsets or adding additional vectors.