Question About Scales that Measure Pressure

In summary, the individual is searching for a specific type of scale that can accurately measure the pressure they exert while pulling their body weight down on a counter or other surface. They are not familiar with scales and need one that can measure forces higher than just their weight. Additionally, the scale should be able to provide real-time readings, similar to scales used in labs, rather than the standard household digital weight scale. They are seeking assistance in finding the appropriate scale, potentially from a store that specializes in industrial scales.
MattRaff
I'm trying to find a certain type of scale that will measure the pressure I exert on it but I'm not really an expert on scales. I need one that will easily read the amount of pressure when I'm grabbing a counter or something and pulling my body weight down upon it. So I need one that can measure forces a lot higher just my weight. And the other stipulation for it is that it needs to be able to be read as I'm pushing down on it such as scales in labs that measure weights or chemical samples and not like a standard household digital weight scale that takes a few seconds to figure out your weight. If anyone could help me with this or even lead me on the right track that would be awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should contact someone from a store that sales industrial scales and talk to them. They should be able to help you figure out what you need.

1. How does a scale measure pressure?

A scale measures pressure by utilizing a mechanism that converts the force exerted by an object on the scale into a numerical value. This mechanism can be a spring, a balance, or a hydraulic system, depending on the type of scale.

2. What units are typically used to measure pressure on a scale?

The most commonly used unit to measure pressure on a scale is pounds per square inch (psi). Other units such as kilopascals (kPa) and atmospheres (atm) may also be used, depending on the scale's design and purpose.

3. Can a scale measure both positive and negative pressure?

Yes, some scales have the capability to measure both positive and negative pressure. These scales are known as differential pressure scales and are commonly used in industries such as HVAC and plumbing.

4. Are there different types of scales that measure pressure?

Yes, there are various types of scales that measure pressure, including analog and digital scales. There are also specific types of scales designed for measuring different types of pressure, such as absolute pressure, gauge pressure, and differential pressure.

5. How accurate are scales in measuring pressure?

The accuracy of a scale in measuring pressure depends on its design and calibration. Most scales have a margin of error that can range from 0.1% to 1%. However, specialized and high-precision scales can have an accuracy of up to 0.01%.