Entropy/enthelpy/gibbs for vaporization of water

In summary, the professor is trying to tell us that the water changes from liquid to gas at 95 degrees Celsius, and then calculates the various pathways and results.
Puchinita5
This is a question from a quiz in my physical chemistry class

For 1 mole of H20, calculate [itex]\Delta{S_{sys}}[/itex], [itex]\Delta{S_{surr}}[/itex],
[itex]\Delta{S_{univ}}[/itex], and [itex]\Delta{G_{sys}}[/itex] for the following transition at 1 atm pressure and 95 degrees Celcius

H20 (l) ---------> H20 (g) Right now, what I'm confused about is...liquid water doesn't turn into a gas at 95 degrees at 1 atm (it's 100 degrees no?), so why would this reaction occur at all?

Is it perhaps just poorly worded? Maybe he meant to say that it STARTS at 95 degrees but will be heated to 100 degrees?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, and looking at the solution to this, there are three steps, 1 from 95-100, the transition, and one from 100 to 95! I would never have thought to have those steps because I thought T was constant.

Is it just a poorly worded question, or does this reaction actually happen at 95 degrees and I'm just totally missing the concept?

Puchinita5 said:
Right now, what I'm confused about is...liquid water doesn't turn into a gas at 95 degrees at 1 atm (it's 100 degrees no?),

100 deg C is a boiling point, but water evaporates at lower temperatures as well.

Puchinita5 said:
Oh, and looking at the solution to this, there are three steps, 1 from 95-100, the transition, and one from 100 to 95! I would never have thought to have those steps because I thought T was constant.

Is it just a poorly worded question, or does this reaction actually happen at 95 degrees and I'm just totally missing the concept?
I think the question means the process at 95 Celsius. But since you are (supposedly) not given the evaporation contribution at 95 Celsius you must calculate a different path from the initial state (liquid water at 95 Celsius) to the final state (gaseous water at 95 Celsius). This actually only makes sense if the values you are supposed to calculate are path-independent, and I strongly suggest you try to understand if and possibly why they are. Just our of curiosity: what are the results?

Here is the solution...I just don't understand why all these things were done. If you could explain the whole "path" thing because that is a concept I definitely don't really get and might be why I don't understand this solution.

There are some missing parts to the solution where I couldn't read what the professor wrote. But for the most part this is all of it...

These were given also:
[itex]\Delta{H_{fH20(l)}}=-285.8 kJ/mol[/itex]
[itex]\Delta{H_{fH20(g)}}=-241.8 kJ/mol[/itex]
[itex]C_{pm}H20(l)=75.29 J/Kmol[/itex]
[itex]C_{pm}H20(g)=33.58 J/Kmol[/itex]

The solution was given in three steps:
1)
[itex]\Delta{H1}=Cp\Delta{T}=75.29 J/Kmol*(373K-368K)=376.5J[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{S1}=Cp*ln(T2/T1)=75.29 J/Kmol*ln(373K/368K)=1.02J[/itex]

2)

[itex]\Delta{H2}=\Delta{H_{fH20(g)_{373}}} - \Delta{H_{fH20(l)_{373}}}=?[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{H_{f(373)}}=Cp(373-298)+ \Delta{H_{f(298)}}=?[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{H2}= -24.8 kJ+285.8 kJ=44,000J[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{S2}=\Delta{H2}/373 =44,000J/373=117.96 J/K[/itex]

3)

[itex]\Delta{H3}=33.58 J/K*(368-373)=-168 J[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{S3}=33.58 J/K*ln(368/373)= -.453 J[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{HTotal}=44.208 J[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{STotal}=118.5 J[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{GTotal}=600 J[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{S_{surr}}=-\Delta{HTotal}/368=-120.13[/itex]

[itex]\Delta{S_{univ}}=-1.63 J/K[/itex]

Yea, so if you can just provide me with some rational on why these steps are taken, I would appreciate it! I'm really just trying to understand.

1. What is entropy in relation to the vaporization of water?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of the vaporization of water, it refers to the amount of disorder or randomness in the water molecules as they transition from a liquid to a gas state.

2. How does entropy affect the process of water vaporization?

As water vaporizes, the entropy of the system increases. This is because the water molecules are transitioning from a more ordered state in the liquid phase to a more disordered state in the gas phase. This increase in entropy is what drives the process of vaporization.

3. What is enthalpy in relation to the vaporization of water?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy in a system. In the context of water vaporization, it refers to the energy required to break the bonds between water molecules in the liquid phase and convert them into a gas. This energy is known as the enthalpy of vaporization.

4. How do entropy and enthalpy relate to Gibbs free energy?

Gibbs free energy is a measure of the amount of energy available to do work in a system. In the case of water vaporization, the change in Gibbs free energy is related to the change in entropy and enthalpy. Specifically, the process of water vaporization is spontaneous when the change in Gibbs free energy is negative, indicating a decrease in enthalpy and an increase in entropy.

5. Can the entropy and enthalpy of water vaporization be influenced by external factors?

Yes, the entropy and enthalpy of water vaporization can be influenced by external factors such as pressure and temperature. For example, increasing the pressure on water can lead to a decrease in entropy, making the process of vaporization less spontaneous. Similarly, increasing the temperature of water can increase the enthalpy of vaporization, making it more difficult for water to transition from a liquid to a gas state.