Poisson Distribution problem in probability for engineers

In summary: This is higher than the given probability of 0.1, which makes sense as the probability of at least one event occurring is usually higher than the probability of a specific event occurring.In summary, the probability of more than 30 shark attacks occurring in a year based on historical data is 0.4564, and the probability of at least one year with more than 30 shark attacks in a 10-year period given a probability of 0.1 in a given year is 0.6513. I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Thank you.
silenttube
In 2003, there were many media reports about the number of shark attacks. At the end of the year, there were a total of 30 unprovoked shark attacks. By comparison, there were 246 shark attacks over the prior ten years.

(a) Give an expression for the probability of more than 30 shark attacks occurring in a year based on the historical data (don't include data for 2003). Use a Gaussian approximation to give an approximate numerical answer.

Here I came up with the probability is 0.1171 and I am confident in this answer. B part is what I can't figure out.

(b) Suppose that the probability that there are more than 30 shark attacks in a given year is 0.1. Find the probability that there is at least one year with more than 30 shark attacks in a 10 year period.

Here I came up with 0.09 as my probability, but intuition tells me that is should probably be greater than 0.1. Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this topic regarding shark attacks. I would like to provide some insights on the probability of more than 30 shark attacks occurring in a year and in a 10 year period.

(a) The expression for the probability of more than 30 shark attacks occurring in a year, based on the historical data, can be calculated using the Gaussian approximation as follows:

P(X > 30) = P(Z > (30 - mean)/standard deviation)

Where X represents the number of shark attacks, Z represents the standard normal variable, mean is the mean number of shark attacks over the 10-year period (246), and standard deviation is the standard deviation of the number of shark attacks over the 10-year period.

Using the historical data, we can calculate the mean and standard deviation as follows:

Mean = (246/10) = 24.6

Standard deviation = √[(∑(X - mean)^2)/n] = √[(246-24.6)^2 + (246-24.6)^2 + ... + (246-24.6)^2)/10] = 46.96

Substituting these values in the expression, we get:

P(X > 30) = P(Z > (30 - 24.6)/46.96) = P(Z > 0.115)

Using a standard normal table, we can find that P(Z > 0.115) = 0.4564. Therefore, the probability of more than 30 shark attacks occurring in a year, based on the historical data, is approximately 0.4564.

(b) Now, let's consider the probability of at least one year with more than 30 shark attacks in a 10-year period, given the probability of more than 30 shark attacks in a given year is 0.1.

We can calculate this probability using the binomial distribution as follows:

P(at least one year with more than 30 shark attacks) = 1 - P(no year with more than 30 shark attacks)

= 1 - (1 - 0.1)^10

= 1 - 0.9^10

= 1 - 0.3487

= 0.6513

Therefore, the probability of at least one year with more than 30 shark attacks in a 10-year period is approximately 0.6513.

1. What is the Poisson distribution and how is it used in probability for engineers?

The Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of occurrences of a particular event within a specified time or space interval. It is commonly used in engineering to analyze and predict the number of defects, failures, or occurrences of events such as traffic accidents or machine breakdowns.

2. How is the Poisson distribution different from other probability distributions?

The Poisson distribution differs from other probability distributions in that it is used to model the number of discrete events that occur within a specific time or space interval, rather than continuous events. It also assumes that the events occur independently and at a constant rate.

3. What are the key parameters in the Poisson distribution?

The key parameters in the Poisson distribution are the mean (λ) and the time or space interval (t). The mean represents the average number of events that occur in the given interval, while the time or space interval represents the length of time or space being considered.

4. How do you calculate the probability of a specific number of events occurring using the Poisson distribution?

The probability of a specific number of events (k) occurring within a given time or space interval can be calculated using the Poisson probability formula: P(k) = (e^-λ * λ^k) / k!, where e is the base of the natural logarithm and k! represents k factorial.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Poisson distribution in engineering?

The Poisson distribution has many applications in engineering, including predicting the number of failures in a manufacturing process, estimating the number of traffic accidents on a particular road, and analyzing the number of customer complaints in a given time period. It can also be used to model the arrival of phone calls at a call center or the number of earthquakes in a region over a certain time period.