Kinetic Friction, Undefined Pushing Force, Find Normal Force.

In summary, a crate with a weight of 73N is being pushed at a constant velocity across a rough, horizontal surface by a push force P at an angle of 37 degrees below the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.41. Using the equations fk = μkN and ƩFy = 0, and recognizing that a = 0, it is possible to solve for the normal force N and the magnitude of the push force P. Once P is known, the vertical component can be found and used to solve for the normal force.
Saraballs

Homework Statement

A crate is pushed at constant velocity across a rough, horizontal surface by a push force P. The crate has a weight of 73N. Coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.41. Vector force P points at an angle of 37 degrees below the horizontal. What is the magnitude of the normal force?

Homework Equations

fk = μkN
constant velocity indicates v0=vfinal and therefore a=0
no movement in the y direction, therefore ƩFy=0

These are random things that I have found online but I'm not sure if they're true:
Fcosθ=f (The horizontal component of the push force is equivalent to to friction)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is, I don't have the magnitude of the push force. I don't know where to go from here, but I have tried many things.

To find the kinetic friction:
fk = μkN
=(0.41)(73N)
=29.9N

Using Fcosθ=f, I assume that 29.9N is the horizontal component of the push force. I then find the vertical component of the push force:
Py=29.9N*tan37
Py=19.6N

I then add this to the weight to find the Normal Force:
73+19.6=92.6NThe Normal Force is not 92.6N. This problem is from an exam I failed last semester, and I have the correct answer now, but I can't get to it.
Thank you in advance, for anyone who can help me out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You'll need to draw a force (free-body) diagram for the crate, and then look at x- and y-components of the net force.

Redbelly98 said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You'll need to draw a force (free-body) diagram for the crate, and then look at x- and y-components of the net force.

Thank you.
I have drawn a free body diagram.
There is a Push force which is exerting some negative vertical force, some positive horizontal force (this is at a 37 degree angle).
There is a frictional force pointing in the negative x direction.
There is mg (73N as specified in the question). The Normal force is what is unknown. I can upload a picture of this free body diagram if this helps more.

Alright, after spending about 8 hours trying to figure this question out, googling, flipping thru my textbook, asking all my friends, I've finally got it (with some help from the online version of my textbook-- I had to piece together several different problems to get this).

Recognizing that there is a=0,

ƩF_x = Pcosθ-f_k = 0
Therefore, Pcosθ-(f_k)(μ_k)(N)=0

ƩF_y = Psinθ+N-mg = 0
Therefore, N=mg-Psinθ

** Recognize at this point that N (normal force) is not mg. So we are missing the magnitude of the force P, and N (which will be the final answer).
-- Start by finding P.
Substitute (mg-Psinθ) for (N) in the first formula [Pcosθ-(f_k)(μ_k)(N)=0].
-- From here you should be able to isolate and solve for P. This is the magnitude of the Push force.
-- Next, using the angle, you can extract the vertical component of the Push force (P).
-- You should be able to solve for the normal force from this.// Side note, signing up and asking a question here was honestly my last resort. It was just ironic that I happened to give in 1 hour before I solved this problem. I will definitely be back for more help during the next semester of Physics, though. Just got to get thru 5 more months of it.

Good job, but note that it should be -P sinθ for the y-forces, since the crate is being pushed with a downward angle. That will change things, but your method is sound.

Good job recognizing that constant velocity → a=0

Saraballs said:
Thank you.
I have drawn a free body diagram.
There is a Push force which is exerting some negative vertical force, some positive horizontal force (this is at a 37 degree angle).
There is a frictional force pointing in the negative x direction.
There is mg (73N as specified in the question). The Normal force is what is unknown. I can upload a picture of this free body diagram if this helps more.
In general, listing the forces as you have done, along with having drawn the figure for yourself, will usually be good enough.

Good luck with the rest of your course!

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a type of force that occurs when two objects are in motion relative to each other and they come into contact. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces of the objects and acts in the opposite direction of the motion.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Static friction occurs when two objects are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when two objects are in motion relative to each other. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

3. What is an undefined pushing force?

An undefined pushing force is any force that is not specifically identified or measured. It could refer to a force that is unknown or cannot be accurately determined.

4. How do you calculate the normal force?

The normal force is equal to the weight of an object, which is mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. It is represented by the symbol "N" and is always perpendicular to the surface on which the object rests.

5. How does one find the normal force in a given situation?

To find the normal force, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object and determine the net force. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the normal force, since it is equal to the net force in the direction perpendicular to the surface.