Calculating Projectile Range at a 50 Degree Angle with Given Velocity and Height

The correct equation is:y(t)=y0+v0yt-1/2gt^2Setting this equal to zero and solving for t yields:0=1.15+2.581t-4.905t^2 which yields:t=0.465s Plugging this into the horizontal equation yields:x(t)=x0+v0xt or x(t)=(0)+2.166(0.465)=1.007m In summary, by using the correct equations for vertical and horizontal motion, it was determined that the range of the slug was approximately 1.007m with a muzzle velocity of 3.37m/s and a launch angle of 50 degrees.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
A slug is shot at a 50 degree angle from a launcher 1.15m off the ground and has a muzzle velocity of 3.37m/s. Find the range of the slug.

I solved it this way but I'm not sure if I did it correctly.

Vvi=(sin50)(3.37m/s)=2.581m/s
Vhi=(cos50)(3.37m/s)=2.166m/s

[tex] vertical:[/tex]
[tex]v_i=2.581\frac{m}{s}[/tex]
[tex]d=1.15m[/tex]
[tex]a=g=9.81\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]
[tex]t=?[/tex]

[tex]d=v_it+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

[tex]1.15=2.581t+4.905t^2[/tex]

[tex]4.905t^2+2.581t-1.15=0[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{-2.581+\sqrt{6.661561+22.563}}{9.81}[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{2.82497}{9.81}=.288s[/tex]

[tex]horizontal:[/tex]
[tex]t=.288s[/tex]
[tex]v_i=2.166\frac{m}{s}[/tex]
[tex]a=0[/tex]
[tex]d=?[/tex]

[tex]d=v_it[/tex]
[tex]d=(2.166)(.288)=.6238m[/tex]

so my answer is .6238m...but this doesn't seem correct at all. During the lab the slug went an average of 1.4 m each trial. Someone help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason you are getting wrong anwsers is because of the value you are using for the d. The formula you are thinking of is y(t)= y(intitial) + V(intial)t - 1/2 gt^2. By inputting 1.15 as d you are saying that the max height is going to be 1.15m. This is incorect. To find the max height H= (V(initial))^2(sinx)^2 / 2g (I derived this from the formula V^2 = V(inti)^2 + 2a(y-y(intial). Then plgu in the value from the height into the intial equation and solve for time. After soving for time use the standard d=vt.

OR!
Use the formula
Range= (V(intial)^2)(sin2x) / g

Hopefully I have been helpful.

You have the wrong equation for the height. The acceleration is downward so you want a = -g. With your equation the projectile will continue to rise forever - I don't think that's consistent with your observations. :-)

1. What is projectile motion at an angle?

Projectile motion at an angle refers to the motion of an object that is projected at an angle to the ground. This type of motion is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and is affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the force of gravity.

2. How is the range of a projectile affected by the angle of projection?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. The range is affected by the angle of projection in that, for the same initial velocity, the range will be maximum at a 45-degree angle and will decrease as the angle is increased or decreased.

3. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a projectile at a given angle?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a projectile at a given angle is h = (vi^2 * sin^2(theta)) / (2 * g), where vi is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile at an angle?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the motion of a projectile at an angle by slowing it down and reducing its range. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose velocity and fall to the ground sooner.

5. Can the initial velocity of a projectile at an angle be broken down into horizontal and vertical components?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components using trigonometry. The horizontal component is equal to vi * cos(theta), while the vertical component is equal to vi * sin(theta). These components can then be used to calculate the projectile's motion in each direction separately.