Conical Pendulum, Mass and Period

In summary, the conversation centers around the effect of varying mass on the period of a conical pendulum. The question is raised about whether a heavier mass would result in a longer period due to an increase in centripetal force. However, a source explains that the heavier object also has a larger inert mass, resulting in a canceling effect on the period. This leads to the conclusion that all swinging objects with different masses have the same period. The questioner still has trouble understanding this concept and asks for a clearer explanation.
deanchhsw
Hello.

I am having trouble understand the varying mass's effect on the period of a conical pendulum. Well, I understand that there is no effect. However, I am having trouble verifying that in a centripetal force equation for circular motion. Most generally, conical pendulum's centripetal force is the sine component of its tension: therefore Fc = Sin theta * Mass * Tension. Therefore, in theory, the greater the mass, the greater Fc, thereby altering velocity and consequentially affecting the period.

However, the I found an explanation here in some web source:

We can state that a heavier object with the larger (heavy) mass will experience a larger driving force in the direction of the equilibrium position. However, this heavier object will have a larger inert mass and will need a larger force to experience the same acceleration. Because heavy mass and inert mass are strictly proportional to each other both effect cancel. All swinging objects, which differ only by their mass, show the same period.

I still have trouble understanding this, however,
can somebody explain this to me more clearly, so to speak?
Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
To simplify the question,

"All swinging objects, which differ only by their mass, show the same period."

Why is this so?

Because the mass doesn't plays a role in the period equation, why don't do get an expression for [itex] \omega [/itex] and remember the period [itex] T = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega} [/itex].

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum that moves in a circular or elliptical path instead of a straight line. It consists of a mass suspended from a string or rod that is attached to a fixed point above. The mass moves in a conical motion due to the combined forces of gravity and tension in the string.

2. How does the mass of a conical pendulum affect its period?

The mass of a conical pendulum does not affect its period. The period, or the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion, is only dependent on the length of the string and the acceleration due to gravity. This means that a conical pendulum with a heavier mass will have the same period as one with a lighter mass, as long as the length of the string and the acceleration due to gravity remain constant.

3. What factors affect the period of a conical pendulum?

The period of a conical pendulum is affected by two main factors: the length of the string and the acceleration due to gravity. The longer the string, the longer the period will be. Similarly, a higher acceleration due to gravity will result in a shorter period. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the period, but they are usually negligible.

4. How is the period of a conical pendulum calculated?

The period of a conical pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the string in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared. This formula assumes that the angle of the string remains constant throughout the motion.

5. Can a conical pendulum be used to measure the strength of gravity?

Yes, a conical pendulum can be used to measure the strength of gravity. By measuring the period of the pendulum and knowing the length of the string, the value of gravity can be calculated using the formula g = 4π²L/T². This method is often used in laboratory experiments to determine the value of gravity at a particular location.