Poor Iq , but want to do a PHD

• Programs
  • Thread starter rbnphlp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq Phd
In summary, the conversation is about a 3rd year theoretical physicist who recently received their Mensa test scores and is feeling discouraged about their potential for a PhD due to their average IQ score of 104. Other participants in the conversation reassure them that IQ tests are not an accurate measure of intelligence and encourage them to continue pursuing their studies in theoretical physics.
I don't think we can infer much of ANYTHING about the OP from his post. He cares about his IQ score and thinks it would be fun to have Mensa bragging rights. Lots of smart people do, or Mensa would not exist. This has little to do with whether or not he will be a good graduate student.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we need to encourage him that there is a very small population that bases its judgment of people on whether they belong to mensa. probably it is only members of mensa.

Dirac_Man said:
This is precisely why I have always emphatically refused to take IQ tests. From my perspective, there are only two possible outcomes:

1.) The result is lower than what I expect. This alters the way I view myself, and approach problems, even if only in a subconscious way. It could also have a real, measurable impact on my performance due to a preexisting expectation psychologically that I should do poorly.

2.) The result is higher than I expect. This can only generate unwarranted overconfidence in myself, based solely on the results of a test that may or may not "measure" anything at all.

This comment reminded me of the Downing effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_effect#IQ

I also want to add that these two possibilities aren't the only ones, so this argument is flawed. For example, those lacking confidence in their intelligence may find a beneficial improvement to their self esteem, and those who are unconsciously incompetent may become consciously incompetent--giving that person an opportunity to become an effective learner.

Last edited:
Think about in terms of possibilities and possible limits. You're good at math, should be comfortable to you :P

Is it possible for you to succeed in this field, maybe.. even flourish?

Obvious answer is yes, it is entirely possible to flourish without quitting, it's not like it's impossible. Out of every possible outcome, it'd be foolish to say it's IMpossible.

What is limiting you from that? What's your limit to how well you can do, how successful you'll be and how happy you are when you do it?

Obvious answer is that you're human, being human comes with faults, limits. But the more significant part of being human, is that you don't know where your limit is.

You really going to let an I.Q. test stop you from finding out?

Screw your IQ test. Get your Ph.D man.

Thanks guys for the reassurance , I will just keep at it ..and see if I wil make it :D