When does the slope of the curve y = xe^(2x) equal 0?

• Thread starter Johnyi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the problem is asking to find the values of x for which the slope of the curve y = f(x) is 0. This can be found by setting the derivative of the function f(x) to 0 and solving for x. The correct answer is x = 1/2.
Johnyi

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = xe^(2x)

A) Find the values of x for which the slope of the cruve y = f(x) is 0
B) Explain the meaning of your answer to part (a) in terms of the graph f

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting xe^(2x) to 0 by making it 0 = xe^(2x). I don't know what to do from there on. Am i supposed to take the derivative of xe^(2x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
A derivative is a fancy way of saying "instantaneous slope." So if you need to find at which values of x the slope is instantaneously 0, you need to set the derivative to zero, not the function itself.

RoshanBBQ said:
A derivative is a fancy way of saying "instantaneous slope." So if you need to find at which values of x the slope is instantaneously 0, you need to set the derivative to zero, not the function itself.

So i get 2xe^(2x) = 0
The answers in the back of the book say that x = 1/2 but i just can't seem to find a way to that answer

Johnyi said:
So i get 2xe^(2x) = 0
The answers in the back of the book say that x = 1/2 but i just can't seem to find a way to that answer

Product rule.

RoshanBBQ said:
Product rule.

Im sorry i just can't seem to do this right..so far i got

x(2e^(2x))+e^(2x)
=2e^(2x)x+e^(2x)

Johnyi said:
Im sorry i just can't seem to do this right..so far i got

x(2e^(2x))+e^(2x)
=2e^(2x)x+e^(2x)

Yes, that looks right. Now set that equal to zero and solve for x. For the record, as you've written f(x), I believe the answer in the book is incorrect.
[tex] 2xe^{2x}+e^{2x} = 0[/tex]

Can you solve it from here? What answer do you find? I will tell you if I find the same answer.

I thinking that you can factor out a e^(2x).

So it would be e^(2x)(x+1).

Then subtract 1 to the other side, then divide by...I have no clue

Johnyi said:
I thinking that you can factor out a e^(2x).

So it would be e^(2x)(x+1).

Then subtract 1 to the other side, then divide by...I have no clue

if A(x)B(x) = 0, what must be true about at least A(x) or B(x)? Think back to algebra I where you solved

[tex]x^2-1=(x+1)(x-1)=A(x)B(x) = 0[/tex]
[tex]A(x)=x+1[/tex]
[tex]B(x)=x-1[/tex]

Another method to arriving to the same conclusion is:
What does
[tex] \frac{0}{A}[/tex]
equal if A is nonzero? Is an exponential ever zero? A/A = 1 if A is nonzero too. Can you think of a single step to remove the exponential?

Last edited:
Im sorry i don't understand

Johnyi said:
Im sorry i don't understand

Divide both sides by the exponential or you can simply say if A(x)B(x) = 0, A(X) = 0 or B(x) = 0.
[tex] A(x) = e^{2x}[/tex]
[tex] B(x) = 2x+1[/tex]
A(x) cannot reach zero for a finite x. B(x) can. So solve for when B(x) = 0 for the solution. Note, you end up solving for B(x) = 0 if you divide both sides by A(x) (the exponential).

Last edited:

1. What is slope and why is it important in finding locations?

Slope is a measure of the steepness or incline of a surface. In terms of finding locations, slope is important because it helps determine the direction and rate of change in elevation, which can be crucial in navigation and determining the best route to a certain location.

2. How is slope calculated?

Slope is calculated by dividing the change in elevation (rise) by the horizontal distance (run) between two points on a surface. The formula for slope is rise/run or (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).

3. What are some methods for finding slope locations?

There are several methods for finding slope locations, including using a slope calculator, measuring with a clinometer or slope meter, using a topographic map, or even estimating by eye. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain situations.

4. How can slope impact the accuracy of finding a location?

The slope of a surface can have a significant impact on the accuracy of finding a location. A steep slope can make it difficult to navigate and may require more precise measurements, while a gradual slope may be easier to navigate and estimate. Additionally, slope can also affect the accuracy of GPS and other navigation systems.

5. Are there any tools or technology that can assist in finding slope locations?

Yes, there are various tools and technologies that can assist in finding slope locations, such as GPS devices, GIS software, and remote sensing techniques. These tools can help accurately measure and map slope locations, making it easier for scientists and researchers to analyze and study different landscapes.