What does this term mean (language/argot)

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean Term
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "L11 type Co-Pt ordered alloy" and its composition, specifically in regards to Ag atoms. "L11" refers to a rhombohedral structure, as demonstrated by the papers and online sources provided. The composition of Ag is noted to be around 50 at. %, meaning that it makes up 50% of the sample based on the number of atoms.
Physics news on Phys.org
hi fluidistic! :smile:

i think it means rhombohedral,

see http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/l1_1.html :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
hi fluidistic! :smile:

i think it means rhombohedral,

see http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/l1_1.html :wink:
Thank you very much tiny-tim! I've plotted the position of these atoms in VMD to visualize them in 3d.
Another question for anyone who knows: when they say
papers said:
Ag composition is around 50 at. %
what do they mean by . %? Do they simply mean that there's 50% of Ag in the sample? This looks a rather strange way of saying it.

Attachments

• thanks.jpg
    thanks.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:
Ag composition is around 50 at. %

i'm guessing … could "at." be short for "atoms"? :confused:

at. % denotes percentage based on the number of atoms (also moles). While w% denotes percentage based on the weight.

Thank you infinitely guys. I wouldn't have figured it out on my own.

1. What does the term "language" mean?

Language refers to a set of symbols, words, or gestures used by a group of people to communicate with each other. It is a system of communication that allows us to express our thoughts, ideas, and emotions.

2. What is the difference between "language" and "argot"?

Language is a broad term that refers to any system of communication, while argot specifically refers to a specialized vocabulary or set of slang terms used by a particular group or subculture.

3. How is language acquired?

Language is acquired through a combination of nature and nurture. Some aspects of language, such as grammar and syntax, are innate and develop naturally, while others are learned through exposure and interaction with others.

4. Can language change over time?

Yes, language is constantly evolving and changing. As societies and cultures change, so do their languages. New words and phrases are added, and old ones may fall out of use.

5. Is there a universal language?

While there have been attempts to create a universal language, such as Esperanto, there is currently no single language that is universally spoken and understood by all people. However, many languages share similar features and concepts, making it easier for people to communicate across different languages.