Orbital Hybridisation: Myth or Misconception?

In summary, the conversation discusses orbital hybridisation and the misconception that neat, circular orbitals are the correct representation. The speaker explains that the orbitals are based on probability and can be found everywhere in a cloud, and that the combination of s and p orbitals can create hybrid orbitals. They also mention that research supports this theory and invite others to share their thoughts on the topic.
RK7
Is it basically wrong? It just seems like hand-waving...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you mean?

afaik, orbital hybridisation is pretty much how it works. You got a space of probability where you can find an electron or set of electrons. The electron(s) in question is/are essentially everywhere in that cloud at once. It's like a probability cloud.

All that stuff about neat, circular orbitals is what's wrong.

anisotropic said:
What do you mean?

afaik, orbital hybridisation is pretty much how it works. You got a space of probability where you can find an electron or set of electrons. The electron(s) in question is/are essentially everywhere in that cloud at once. It's like a probability cloud.

All that stuff about neat, circular orbitals is what's wrong.

I'm talking about an s orbital and 3 p orbitals nicely combining to make nice convenient orbitals which happen to point outwards tetrahedrally. I don't see how that works.

I haven't done orbital hybridisation in ages, but my guess is the orbitals are based on pure statistical math. Just because it doesn't make sense visually on first glance, doesn't mean it's wrong. Besides, most research likely supports the theory.

That being said, just looking at an s and 3 p orbitals, I can see how the resultant hybrid orbitals exist as they do.

Can anyone else chime in here?

RK7 said:
Is it basically wrong? It just seems like hand-waving...

No it's not wrong. Besides that, what precisely is your question?

1. What is orbital hybridization?

Orbital hybridization is a concept in chemistry that describes the mixing of atomic orbitals to form new hybrid orbitals. This occurs when atoms bond together to form molecules.

2. Is orbital hybridization a myth?

No, orbital hybridization is a well-established concept in chemistry and has been experimentally verified through various techniques, such as X-ray crystallography and molecular spectroscopy.

3. What is the purpose of orbital hybridization?

The purpose of orbital hybridization is to explain the observed molecular geometries and bond angles in molecules. It also helps to understand the bonding and reactivity of molecules.

4. Are there different types of orbital hybridization?

Yes, there are three main types of orbital hybridization: sp, sp2, and sp3. These correspond to the mixing of one, two, and three atomic orbitals, respectively.

5. Can orbital hybridization be observed directly?

No, orbital hybridization cannot be observed directly as it is a theoretical concept. However, its effects can be observed through the properties and behavior of molecules in experiments.