A very simple question about antimatter and E=mcc

• Thread starter KiwiKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antimatter
In summary, when equal amounts of matter and antimatter are annihilated, all of their mass is converted to energy. This can be seen in the simplest example of a positron and electron, with each having a mass of 511 keV resulting in 2 511 keV photons as output.
KiwiKid
My question is simple: suppose that I have X kg of matter and an equal amount of antimatter, would *both* produce Xc^2 amount of energy upon annihilation, resulting in a total of E=2Xc^2? In other words, would the antimatter 'count'? (So if I take 1 kg of matter and 1 kg of antimatter, I would get 2c^2 J of energy?)It seems obvious to me, but I don't want to make a simple mistake - not yet knowing all the details about antimatter and stuff - and screw up my calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
All the mass (matter plus antimatter) gets converted to energy. Simplest example: positron + electron. Each have mass of 511 kev. Output is 2 511 kev photons.

mathman said:
All the mass (matter plus antimatter) gets converted to energy. Simplest example: positron + electron. Each have mass of 511 kev. Output is 2 511 kev photons.

Thank you. That answered my question. :smile:

1. What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a type of matter that is made up of particles with the same mass as regular matter, but with opposite charge. For example, the antiparticle of an electron is a positron, which has the same mass as an electron but a positive charge.

2. How is antimatter created?

Antimatter can be created through processes such as radioactive decay, particle collisions, and high-energy reactions. It can also be produced in small quantities in particle accelerators.

3. What is the relationship between antimatter and energy?

The relationship between antimatter and energy is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This means that matter and antimatter can be converted into energy, and vice versa, with the amount of energy produced being equal to the mass of the particles multiplied by the speed of light squared.

4. Can antimatter be used as a source of energy?

Yes, antimatter can potentially be used as a highly efficient source of energy. However, due to the difficulty and cost of producing and storing antimatter, it is currently not a practical option for energy production.

5. What are the potential applications of antimatter?

Antimatter has potential applications in fields such as medicine, energy production, and space travel. It is currently used in small amounts for medical imaging and cancer treatment, and is being studied for its potential use in propulsion systems for spacecraft.