Heisenberg vs schrodinger picture

In summary: It's just that my textbook makes a big fuss about the similarity of Heisenberg's picture to the classical Hamilton's equations, showing that the quantum operators obey the same differential equations as the variables in the classical picture. I was just thinking that you could replace the quantum Hamiltonian with the corresponding classical Hamiltonian (dequantize - I guess I'm inventing words), solve the classical equations for momentum and position variables, and somehow requantize these variablesto get the position and momentum operator as a function of time (hence almost all other variables). Guess I was hopeful that quantum mechanics would be easy :grumpy: . In summary, you can replace the quantum Hamiltonian with the corresponding classical Hamiltonian to solve
RedX
How does one work in the Heisenberg picture? Can you dequantize and solve the classical Hamilton's equations and somehow requantize this classical solution for the time evolution of the position and momentum operators (and more importantly the eigenvectors)? How would one go about doing that, and which is more useful, the Schrodinger picture or the Heisenberg picture or the Dirac/interaction/intermediate picture (the latter is where your frame rotates at the rate of the time-independent part of the Hamiltonian)?

Physics news on Phys.org
RedX said:
How does one work in the Heisenberg picture? Can you dequantize

What do you mean by "dequantize"??The quantization postulate goes one way only.
Are u referring to Heisenberg & Schroedinger pictures in classical dynamics...??U needn't QM to do that...

RedX said:
and solve the classical Hamilton's equations

No,u do not solve the classical Hamiltonian equations for purpose involving the word "quantum"...

RedX said:
and which is more useful, the Schrodinger picture or the Heisenberg picture or the Dirac/interaction/intermediate picture (the latter is where your frame rotates at the rate of the time-independent part of the Hamiltonian)?

Depends on the situation.They're all EQUIVALENT and useful in the same proportion...

Daniel.

It's just that my textbook makes a big fuss about the similarity of Heisenberg's picture to the classical Hamilton's equations, showing that the quantum operators obey the same differential equations as the variables in the classical picture. I was just thinking that you could replace the quantum Hamiltonian with the corresponding classical Hamiltonian (dequantize - I guess I'm inventing words), solve the classical equations for momentum and position variables, and somehow requantize these variablesto get the position and momentum operator as a function of time (hence almost all other variables). Guess I was hopeful that quantum mechanics would be easy :grumpy: . One wonders why the author even bothers pointing out the similarity between classical Hamilton's equations and Heisenberg's picture when you can't use that similarity to your advantage.

RedX said:
It's just that my textbook makes a big fuss about the similarity of Heisenberg's picture to the classical Hamilton's equations, showing that the quantum operators obey the same differential equations as the variables in the classical picture.

That's true.

RedX said:
I was just thinking that you could replace the quantum Hamiltonian with the corresponding classical Hamiltonian (dequantize - I guess I'm inventing words), solve the classical equations for momentum and position variables, and somehow requantize these variablesto get the position and momentum operator as a function of time (hence almost all other variables). Guess I was hopeful that quantum mechanics would be easy :grumpy: .

Nope,it doesn't work that way.It never will.

RedX said:
One wonders why the author even bothers pointing out the similarity between classical Hamilton's equations and Heisenberg's picture when you can't use that similarity to your advantage.

U can,just as long as u decide to do everything in the Heisenberg picture.Why would you need analogies?

Daniel.

1. What is the difference between the Heisenberg and Schrodinger picture in quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg and Schrodinger picture are two different mathematical formulations of quantum mechanics. In the Schrodinger picture, the state of a system is described by a wavefunction that evolves with time, while the operators representing physical observables remain constant. In the Heisenberg picture, the operators evolve with time, while the state remains constant. Essentially, the difference lies in which component of the system is considered to be time-dependent.

2. Which picture is more commonly used in quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger picture is more commonly used in quantum mechanics, as it is more intuitive and easier to understand. It is also easier to apply to systems with changing potentials or Hamiltonians.

3. Can the Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures give different results?

No, both pictures give the same physical predictions for any given quantum system. The difference lies only in the mathematical representation of the system.

4. How does the Heisenberg picture handle time-dependent Hamiltonians?

In the Heisenberg picture, the Hamiltonian is expressed as a function of time, and the operators evolve according to the Heisenberg equation of motion. This allows for the easy calculation of time-dependent expectation values of observables.

5. Can the Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures be combined?

Yes, the two pictures can be combined to form the interaction picture, which is used in certain cases, such as in perturbation theory. In this picture, both the state and operators are time-dependent, with the state evolving according to the Schrodinger equation and the operators evolving according to the Heisenberg equation of motion.