Understanding of the word within with regards to translation in math

• Thread starter Altrepair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Translation
In summary, the word "within" in math can have a different meaning depending on the context. In general, it can be interpreted as being inside a certain range or interval, but the boundaries may or may not be included. In order to avoid confusion, it is recommended to clarify whether the interval is inclusive or exclusive.
Altrepair
understanding of the word "within" with regards to translation in math

I need a clear understanding of the word "within" with regards to translation in math. Like if I say integers of X is within the interval of 5 and 10. Does this mean: [5,10] (5≤ X ≤10)?? The reason I ask this is because in the English language if I say: "You have within 24 hours to complete the tasks I have given you"; means that I have up to the 24th hour exactly to complete the tasks which means equal to the 24th hour or less.

Here is also a definitions for the word "within".
9.at or to some point not beyond, as in length or distance; not farther than: within a radius of a mile.
:

This means I can be equal to a mile in a radius of a mile and still be within a mile or inside the mile radius that is smaller than a mile which is also within a mile. So this means in math that the word "within" always translates to this inequality ≤ right??

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Good question!
The meaning in everyday use doesn't help much because nothing is that exact. On the one hand, 'within' does have the sense of 'inside', so would not include the boundaries, but in practice it would be impossible to determine exactly a mile, so whether 'within a mile' includes that is immaterial. It is clearer in the context of a physical boundary: 'within the box'.
In maths, I'm not aware of a standard meaning (nor even of much use of the word). I would always play safe and make it clear whether it is inclusive or exclusive, e.g.: "in the range 5 to 10 inclusive". Or just use the standard notation for a real interval, and inequality symbols for integers.
HTH

Lack of a precise definition means that you should not find yourself having to assign a precise meaning to such a term, IMO. However, I think we'd all be happy to say one throw of a die (dice) must turn up a number within the interval 1..6 so that implies everyday language intends a closed interval for within, at least here.

Not an acclaimed authority, but... http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_interval_in_math_term

1. What does the word "within" mean in math?

The word "within" in math typically refers to a range or interval. It can indicate that a number or variable falls within a specific set of values or falls within a certain distance from another number or variable.

2. How is "within" used in mathematical equations?

In equations, "within" is often used in conjunction with symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥ to specify a range or interval. For example, x < 10 would mean that x is less than 10, while x ≥ 5 would mean that x is greater than or equal to 5.

3. Can "within" have different meanings in different contexts in math?

Yes, the meaning of "within" can vary depending on the specific context in math. For example, in geometry, "within" may refer to a shape being inside another shape, while in statistics, it may refer to data points falling within a certain standard deviation.

4. How does understanding the word "within" impact problem solving in math?

Having a clear understanding of the word "within" is important in math problem solving as it helps to define the parameters and limitations of a problem. It can also help to identify the appropriate operations or techniques to use in finding a solution.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about the word "within" in math?

One common misconception about "within" in math is that it always refers to a specific number or value. However, it can also refer to a range of values or a relationship between two numbers or variables. It is important to carefully read the context in which "within" is used to fully understand its meaning.