Exploring Musical Preferences: What Songs Do People Listen To?

• Thread starter irina
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around discussing favorite songs and music genres. Various artists and songs were mentioned such as American Pie, Beach Baby, Summer Rain, Maurice Ravel's "Bolero", Joe Cocker's "You Can Leave Your Hat On", Barry White, Authority Zero, Barry McGuire, Bob Dylan, NOFX, Marlyn Manson, Judas Priest, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Sandra Cretu, Rhapsody, Helloween, Iced Earth, Paul McCartney, "Sylvia's Mother" by Dr. Hook, Queen, UFO, Iron Maiden, Elton John, Europe, Beethoven, Bruckner, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, Brahms,
irina
Just wondering, which songs do you people listen to here? I've got a long list of the ones i like, for example American Pie, Beach Baby, Summer Rain, etc,etc

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just now listening to Maurice Ravel's "Bolero" & i love it.
The one which means the most to me has to be Joe Cocker's "You can leave your hat on",simply because it remainds of the 1yr aniversary of me & my girlfriend.

Then it's always Barry White... :!)

Daniel.

Ahh my favourite song changes 3 to 4 times a week because I'm constantly listening to music (seriously, always! it feels like something's missing when there's not a constant stream of sounds coming in).

I guess some of my top picks would be:
-Revolution by Authority Zero
-Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire
-Hurricane by Bob Dylan
-Don't Call me White by NOFX
-Another brick in the wall by Marlyn Manson
-Evil Fantasies by Judas Priest

those are probably my favourite songs over-all.

Actually the things that I'm hearing a lot are Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Sandra Cretu, Rhapsody, Helloween. I'm interested to hear a group called Iced Earth, though I never heard it. Is it any good?

Sir Paul McCartney just played some good 'uns at halftime of the Super Bowl. The first couple of songs he was playing what looked like his old Hofner bass.

Right now my favorite song is Sylvia's Mother, but that is mainly because I just bought a Dr. Hook CD a few days ago, and it had that track on it. My fave changes regularly, as does Smurf's.

somebody to love -- queen
doctor doctor -- UFO
mother russia -- iron maiden
bennie and the jets -- elton john
the final countdown -- europe *SHAME!*

i have a sickening infatuation with queen, so pretty much all of their songs would be on my favorites list. i was just kind enough not to list them. :P

Beethoven 9th is number 1. From there we somewhat diverge:

2. Bruckner 8th
3. LVB 7th
4. Bruckner 9th
5. LVB 6th
6. Bruckner 7th
7. Tchaikovsky 6th
8. Sibelius 2nd
9. Brahms 4th
10. Dvorak 7th

Mahler 2 and Tchaikovsky 5 are 13th and 17th, respectively, on my list of favorites. LVB 3 is in my top 30 and Dvorak 8 is in the top 50. FWIW, I have recordings of nearly 200 different symphonies written by 40 different composers.

Grace said:
Beethoven 9th is number 1. From there we somewhat diverge:

2. Bruckner 8th
3. LVB 7th
4. Bruckner 9th
5. LVB 6th
6. Bruckner 7th
7. Tchaikovsky 6th
8. Sibelius 2nd
9. Brahms 4th
10. Dvorak 7th

Mahler 2 and Tchaikovsky 5 are 13th and 17th, respectively, on my list of favorites. LVB 3 is in my top 30 and Dvorak 8 is in the top 50. FWIW, I have recordings of nearly 200 different symphonies written by 40 different composers.

I prefer brahms 1st to the 4th, and i don't like tchaikovsky.

I prefer bach mostly. Brandenburg concertos, especially the second movement of the third.

I like my ska and punk rock really. My favourite songs change a lot but at the moment my favourite songs are:
Scarlet Begonias - Sublime
Holiday - Green Day
Franco Un-American - NoFX
Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Jimmy Jazz - The Clash
amongst quite a few, lol

Originally posted by franznietzsche
I prefer brahms 1st to the 4th, and i don't like tchaikovsky.

I prefer bach mostly. Brandenburg concertos, especially the second movement of the third.
Though I will listen to most anything from Telemann to Torke, my favorite period for classical music is the 19th century Romantic period. Tonight, while I am on the boards, I am listening to a complete recording of Wagner's Das Rheingold. I saw a live performance of this opera last November. It is my favorite of the 4 Wagner Ring operas.

franznietzsche said:
Because it is about 15 seconds long? :wink:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Led Zeppelin Playlist

Song - Album

Good Times, Bad Times - I
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - I
Dazed and Confused - I
Your Time Is Gonna Come - I
How Many More Times - I
Whole Lotta Love - II
What Is and What Should Never Be - II
Thank You - II*
Ramble On - II*
Immigrant Song - III
Since I've Been Loving You - III*
Out on the Tiles - III
Gallows Pole - III
That's the Way - III
The Battle of Evermore - IV*
Stairway Heaven (I hesitate - it was so over-played in the 1970's)
When the Levee Breaks - IV*
The Song Remains the Same - Houses of the Holy
The Rain Song - Houses of the Holy
Over the Hills and Far Away - Houses of the Holy
No Quarter - Houses of the Holy*
Down by the Seaside - Physical Graffiti
Ten Years Gone - Physical Graffiti*
Tea for One - Presence*
In the Evening - In Through the Out Door

* Denotes the most favorite

1. I need love-The Music
2. World so cold-mudvayne
3. The People-The music
4. no one's there-korn
5. play that funky music-wild cherry
6. give it away-RHCP
7. Happy-Mudvayne
8. welcome to the north-the music
9. mercy, severity-Mudvayne
10. Dig-Mudvayne

The Music and Mudvayne are the bomb! :rofl:

1. What is your favorite song?

As a scientist, I do not have a favorite song. I find enjoyment in a variety of music genres and appreciate the complexity of each piece.

2. How do you determine your favorite song?

I do not use a specific method to determine my favorite song. I believe that musical preferences are subjective and can change over time.

3. Do you have a favorite artist or band?

Similar to my answer for the first question, I do not have a favorite artist or band. I appreciate the unique styles and talents of many different musicians.

4. Is there a scientific reason for why a certain song is your favorite?

No, there is no scientific reason for why a certain song may be someone's favorite. While music can evoke emotions and memories, the concept of a "favorite" song is based on personal preference rather than scientific reasoning.

5. Can your favorite song change over time?

Yes, it is common for a person's favorite song to change over time. As we grow and experience new things, our tastes and preferences can also change. This is a natural part of human development.