Is There a Paradox in the Equation for Oblate Spheroids?

• Thread starter ianyappy
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discrepancy between the equations for an oblate spheroid and the WGS 84 oblate spheroid model of the Earth. The first equation uses geocentric latitude while the equations on the Wiki page use geodetic latitude. This suggests that x,y,z must fit a different equation for different geodetic latitudes.
ianyappy
I'm a little confused by what appears to me to be a paradox. I understand that the equation for an oblate spheroid is given by
\begin{equation}
\frac{x ^ 2+y^2}{a^2} + \frac{z ^ 2}{c^2}= 1, c < a
\end{equation}
where a and c are the semi-major and semi-minor axes respectively.
However, the definitions for the WGS 84 oblate spheroid model of the Earth using the ECEF <--> geodetic latitude/longitude/height are (Wiki Link) the following equations
\begin{equation}
x = N(\phi) cos\phi cos\lambda \\
y = N(\phi) cos\phi sin\lambda \\
z = N(\phi)(1-e^2) sin \phi \\
N(\phi) = \frac{a}{\sqrt{1-e^2 sin^2\phi}}
\end{equation}
where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the geodetic latitude, [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the longitude, e is the eccentricity and a is the semi-major axis. I removed the height parameter as I am only concerned with the spheroid surface.

I have also read a paper which states the equation relating the ECEF X,Y,Z is
\begin{equation}
\frac{x ^ 2+y^2}{N(\phi)^2} + \frac{z ^ 2}{[N(\phi)(1-e^2)]^2}= 1
\end{equation}

The last equation has denominators that depends on the geodetic latitude while the first equation for the oblate spheroid has denominators which are constant. Is there something wrong?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The equation you quote for an oblate spheroid uses geocentric latitude. I believe the equations on the Wiki page use geodetic latitude. There is a comment about that on the page you linked.

Well yes, but isn't ECEF independent of geodetic/geocentric coordinates? Then in the last equation, this seems to suggest that x,y,z must fit a different equation for different geodetic latitudes.

1. What is an oblate spheroid?

An oblate spheroid is a three-dimensional figure that is created by rotating an ellipse around its shorter axis. It is often used to model the shape of planets and other astronomical objects.

2. What are oblate spheroid equations used for?

Oblate spheroid equations are used to calculate the dimensions and properties of an oblate spheroid, such as its volume, surface area, and moment of inertia. They are also used in geodesy and cartography to represent the shape of the Earth.

3. What is the formula for calculating the volume of an oblate spheroid?

The formula for calculating the volume of an oblate spheroid is V = (4/3)πa2b, where a is the equatorial radius and b is the polar radius of the spheroid.

4. How do oblate spheroid equations differ from those of a perfect sphere?

Unlike a perfect sphere, which has a constant radius at all points, the radius of an oblate spheroid varies depending on the direction. This results in different equations for calculating the surface area, volume, and other properties of the shape.

5. Can oblate spheroid equations be used for other objects besides planets?

Yes, oblate spheroid equations can be applied to any object that has a flattened shape, such as an egg or a spinning top. They can also be used to approximate the shape of certain man-made structures, such as buildings or satellites.