What does the symbol Vdash mean?

• Thread starter weetabixharry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean Symbol
In summary, the symbol in question, \nVdash, is the negation of \Vdash which means "entails". This is mentioned in Wikipedia's list of mathematical symbols. However, in the given context, the phrase "A \nVdash B" does not seem to apply. The author of the article has been contacted to clarify the meaning of the notation used in the given context.
weetabixharry
I would like to know what this symbol means:[tex]\nVdash[/tex]Specifically, in the main result of [link] (Theorem 1, at the top of p.4), it has:[tex]\nVdash(n=k=0)[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is negation of [tex]\Vdash[/tex] and the latter means "entails".

voko said:
It is negation of [tex]\Vdash[/tex] and the latter means "entails".
Yes, I saw the [itex]\Vdash[/itex] symbol listed as "entails" in Wikipedia's list of mathematical symbols. However, in that article, the explanation is "A [itex]\Vdash[/itex] B means the sentence A entails the sentence B, that is in every model in which A is true, B is also true."

I can't see how that applies to my example (which is not in the form[itex]A \nVdash B[/itex]).

How about : the cases described are excluded, i.e., the definition excludes the

cases n=k=0 ?

Bacle2 said:
How about : the cases described are excluded, i.e., the definition excludes the

cases n=k=0 ?
This still does not seem to make sense in the given context. The relevant phrase in full is:[tex]\mathrm{where \ } R_{n,0,k}(x) \ := \ \nVdash(n=k=0), \ \ R_{n,j,0} \ := \ \nVdash(n=j) \mathrm{ \ \ and \ \ } R_{n,j,k} \ := \ 0 \ \mathrm{else}[/tex]

I've spent a long time trying to reverse engineer the phrase. My best guess is that the whole phrase (see previous post) could translate into the following two statements:

[tex]R_{n,0,k}=\left\{
\begin{array}{c}
1, \\
\end{array}
\begin{array}{l}
\text{if }n=k=0 \\
\text{otherwise}
\end{array}
\right. [/tex]
[tex]R_{n,j,0}=\left\{
\begin{array}{c}
1, \\
\end{array}
\begin{array}{l}
\text{if }n=j \\
\text{otherwise}
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]
Even if this is correct, there are other bits of notation that I don't understand... but I suppose I should start a new thread, as this one seems pretty dead.

Why don't you get in touch with the author of the article?

voko said:

Good idea. It looks like a typo. So you should ask the author.

voko said:
Yeah, I've E-mailed the author... fingers crossed that I get a reply, I suppose.

1. What does the symbol "x" mean?

The symbol "x" typically represents an unknown quantity or a variable in mathematics.

2. What does the symbol "Δ" mean?

The symbol "Δ" is commonly used to represent the change in a quantity or a difference between two values in mathematics and physics.

3. What does the symbol "☀" mean?

The symbol "☀" represents the sun in astronomy and can also be used to indicate warmth, happiness, or positivity in other contexts.

4. What does the symbol "∞" mean?

The symbol "∞" stands for infinity, which represents something that has no end or is limitless in mathematics and philosophy.

5. What does the symbol "©" mean?

The symbol "©" is the copyright symbol and is used to indicate ownership or protection of original works.