A Mysterious Streak Above Hawaii

• Thread starter polyb
  • Start date
In summary: So there we go, a catagorical UFO. :biggrin:I think it is fair to conclude that the object seen was the fuel dump of the AMC-16 rocket launch. Since the trajectory matches there is really no other explanation. This fuel dump was unexpectedly bright -- one of the brightest yet recorded. I am therefore closing this topic.
polyb
Here is one for the UFO files. Apparently the object that is streaking across the sky does not seem to be registered with a site they use to track satellites. They are open to explanations but you may have a hard time if you think it was 'little grey men'.

Here's the link:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050208.html

Explanation: What in heavens-above was that? Not everything seen on the night sky is understood. The Night Sky Live (NSL) project keeps its global array of continuously updating web cameras (CONCAMs) always watching the night sky. On the night of 2004 December 17, the fisheye CONCAM perched on top of an active volcano in Haleakala, Hawaii, saw something moving across the night sky that remains mysterious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seth Shostak thinks it's probably the first stage fuel dump of a Centaur Rocket launched that day for Dish TV. He does admit that it may be ET dropping in for some Poi. :biggrin:

Edit: I find it interesting that so many people get so worked up over something rather mundane. Apparently this has created quite a stir on the net today. If it had made a turn or accelerated, that would be interesting, but this thing really did nothing unusual.

Last edited:
David Grinspoon just made an interesting comment - something that I have often noticed. He points out that scientists tend to jump on any reasonable suggestion when faced with a mystery. There is often a sense that any reasonable explanation will do even though it may not be supported by much if any evidence. I would imagine that since there were two cameras that tracked this thing, and by using parallax, we'll have some real data to use.

One caller just claimed that the alleged fuel dump was made over the East Coast of the US.

Well Ivan, catagorically it is a UFO. Of course I agree with the conjecture of ET getting some poi! :biggrin: I guess good food is hard to find! :rofl:

I'm sorry polyb, I didn't mean to make poi of your post. :biggrin:

I was just surprised at the amount of attention that it got.

Don't be a poi boy Ivan! :rofl:

You didn't make poi of the thread, you only expressed your own opinion which displayed your aggrevation. I really see no problem with that.

Actually I thought the suggestion that it was some falling debris may have been right on. What ever it was, it was and I guess still is unidentified. What was it? You got me. :confused:

There is a series of pictures from a webcam of a luminous object and one cannot really ascertain much from it. One cannot conclude that it was a spaceship from another planet even though I find it entertaining that ET was in search of poi. So there we go, a catagorical UFO. :biggrin:

I think it is fair to conclude that the object seen was the fuel dump of the AMC-16 rocket launch. Since the trajectory matches there is really no other explanation. This fuel dump was unexpectedly bright -- one of the brightest yet recorded. I am therefore closing this topic. I would like to thank the APOD community for figuring out yet another astronomical mystery.
- RJN
http://bb.nightskylive.net/asterisk/viewtopic.php?t=291&start=193

Ivan Seeking said:
David Grinspoon just made an interesting comment - something that I have often noticed. He points out that scientists tend to jump on any reasonable suggestion when faced with a mystery. There is often a sense that any reasonable explanation will do even though it may not be supported by much if any evidence. I would imagine that since there were two cameras that tracked this thing, and by using parallax, we'll have some real data to use.

One caller just claimed that the alleged fuel dump was made over the East Coast of the US.

Some people jump to the rational while others jump to the irrational, that's just the way it is.

I call jumping to UFOs irrational because it is more likely that an explanation is mundane. (They can make it all the way here but not stay hidden? cmon) I remember one picture where you had a HUGE ufo in the background. It was incredible, but the picture was offered as a challenge: find out what the UFO really was.

It turns out it was the top of a lamp post.

You only need to explain this to someone who knows nothing about UFOs. Then he will know almost nothing.

What is causing the mysterious streak above Hawaii?

The mysterious streak above Hawaii is most likely a meteor or space debris burning up in the atmosphere. It could also be a contrail from a passing airplane catching the light of the setting sun.

Is the mysterious streak a danger to residents of Hawaii?

No, the mysterious streak is not a danger to residents of Hawaii. It is likely too high in the atmosphere to cause any harm and will most likely burn up completely before reaching the ground.

How often do we see mysterious streaks like this in the sky?

Mysterious streaks like this are not uncommon, especially in areas with high air traffic. However, they are not always visible to the naked eye and can only be seen under certain lighting conditions.

Could the mysterious streak be a UFO?

While it is possible that the mysterious streak could be a UFO, it is highly unlikely. The most logical explanation is that it is a natural occurrence such as a meteor or contrail.

What can scientists learn from studying the mysterious streak?

By studying the mysterious streak, scientists can gather information about the composition and behavior of objects entering Earth's atmosphere. This can help us better understand our planet's environment and potential hazards from space debris.

Back