Understanding Creep and Creep Rate

• Thread starter jaredogden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Creep Rate
In summary, the conversation discusses two graphs related to creep: a graph of strain vs time, and a graph of ln(dεss/dt) vs ln(σ). The latter graph shows a strain rate effect, indicating the presence of strain hardening or strain rate hardening. The natural logarithm is used to represent this effect.
jaredogden
So I'm looking through some material on creep for one of my courses. There is a graph of strain ε vs Time, t. Consisting of Primary creep, steady-state creep, and tertiary creep. I pretty much can follow that and understand why the graph looks the way it does.

However there is another graph under it that is ln(dεss/dt) vs ln(σ). I am trying to understand what the significance is of taking the natural log of stress and the steady state creep rate. What would a graph containing these things be telling us, and why the natural log?

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In the elastic range, σ = Eε, where E is the elastic (Young's) modulus, i.e., it's linear as in 'linear elastic'. In most systems, the service domain is in the elastic range.

Secondary or steady-state creep involves inelastic or plastic deformation in which,

σ = Kεn, or ln σ = ln K + n ln ε.

and there is also cases where,

σ = K εn [itex]\dot{\epsilon}^m[/itex].

In the case of ln(dεss/dt) vs ln(σ), this implies a strain rate effect, i.e., strain hardening or strain rate (hardening) effect, e.g., σ = K [itex]\dot{\epsilon}^m[/itex].

1. What is creep and how does it occur?

Creep is the gradual deformation of a material under constant stress over time. It occurs due to the movement of atoms and dislocations within the material's crystal structure.

2. What factors influence the rate of creep?

The rate of creep is influenced by factors such as temperature, stress level, material composition, and microstructure. Higher temperatures, higher stress levels, and materials with larger grain sizes tend to have faster rates of creep.

3. What is the difference between primary, secondary, and tertiary creep?

Primary creep is the initial stage of creep where the deformation rate gradually increases over time. Secondary creep is the stage where the deformation rate remains relatively constant. Tertiary creep is the final stage where the deformation rate rapidly increases until failure occurs.

4. How is creep rate measured?

The creep rate is typically measured by the strain (deformation) of the material over time. It can also be measured by the rate of change in strain or the rate of change in stress over time.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding creep and creep rate?

Understanding creep and creep rate is important in designing and predicting the lifespan of materials under constant stress, such as in structural engineering and high-temperature applications. It also helps in selecting appropriate materials for different applications and predicting potential failures in advance.