What updates can we expect for the new PF website style?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: but I think it makes them look more like an advertisement or something.Yeah I dabbled with lowering the opacity of signatures to lessen the visual pressure they have on post... but I think it makes them look more like an advertisement or something.I think it looks great the way it is. I don't mind the signature at all.I think it looks great the way it is.
Sylvia Else said:
Whatever happened to the engineering adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Designers seem to mistake change for progess.

And engineers sometimes can't consider anything other than the function/utility of something. There are plenty more considerations to make. :smile:

It wasn't change for the sake of change. Trust me. I don't have hours to waste working on a new style and my ego isn't shatterproof enough to warrant testing by changing a style members generally liked. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice Job Greg, thanks for giving us a place to chat about physics! Physics Forums is excellent, and the new look is great. It looks more professional!

Nice. It am experiencing a better interface on my mobile too. Good work

I think this is much better. I was never a fan of the previous grey design when it was introduced, it always seemed dull to me, like the site was inactive. It certainly makes a difference. I am not entirely happy with the green. Id try a few different colors (orange comes to mind), but you probably already did that.

I like it. I wasn't expecting to, but its actually really good!

new is always welcome to me :)

I really like the changes. Good work. I just installed the mobile app on my android and it like that too. Although, I am not sure if many changes were made on the mobile app too.

Thanks
Matt

This new style looks beautiful! Nice job, Greg!

Sorry for commenting so late, I've recently become a bit more active and I really like the new style! It's pretty clear and it looks great.

I have one request though: in the old style at some point the date format was changed to prevent the leftmost column from stretching too wide. As I suspect the blue bar is no longer related to the two columns in the body post, would it be possible to switch back to a more descriptive date format, i.e. "Today" instead of "T" and "Apr 02, 2013" instead of "Apr2-13"?

I think the type of text used for links should be more different from the rest. Let's say that I suggest that this pdf might be a good place to get a quick summary of the essentials of naive set theory. Will you even notice that the sentence contained a link? I suggest that you consider making it bold, underlined, or a color that stands out more.

Let's say that I suggest that this pdf might be a good place to get a quick summary of the essentials of naive set theory.

Fredrik said:
I think the type of text used for links should be more different from the rest. Let's say that I suggest that this pdf might be a good place to get a quick summary of the essentials of naive set theory. Will you even notice that the sentence contained a link? I suggest that you consider making it bold, underlined, or a color that stands out more.

I agree.

Logo/Banner

Great work, it all looks nice! IMHO though, the banner doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the site, particularly the text "Physics Forums", perhaps a new logo or different/better typeface would be better.

One thing that is distinctly WORSE in the new format is when I go to quote someone and 'go advanced' I lose not only all the previous posts but even the compiled latex of the present one.

If I then want to go back a page to read the last and/or previous posts I lose the entire text of what I've written to that point. So I have to copy it, then go back to re-read the thread. Seems like that wasn't the case before.

One should be able to read the entire thread without losing one's place in the reply window.

rude man

rude man said:
One thing that is distinctly WORSE in the new format is when I go to quote someone and 'go advanced' I lose not only all the previous posts but even the compiled latex of the present one.
I don't understand what you mean. How do you quote and then go advanced? How do you compile LaTeX without going advanced?

rude man said:
If I then want to go back a page to read the last and/or previous posts I lose the entire text of what I've written to that point. So I have to copy it, then go back to re-read the thread. Seems like that wasn't the case before.
Wasn't it? I have always right-clicked and opened in a new tab for those situations. Are you typing in the quick reply window?

rude man said:
One should be able to read the entire thread without losing one's place in the reply window.
I don't think that has ever been possible unless you view the thread in a separate tab or window.

Fredrik said:
I don't understand what you mean. How do you quote and then go advanced? How do you compile LaTeX without going advanced?

By using 'quick reply'. The OP's quote is already compiled of course. If I do a quick-reply there is no problem. If I select 'go advanced' the whole thread is gone including the OP's compiled latex text.
I have always right-clicked and opened in a new tab for those situations. Are you typing in the quick reply window?

No, in the 'go-advanced' one. There is no problem if I stick to the 'quick-reply' window, but then I can't avail myself of the symbols window & I am too old to learn latex :smile: . I never tried your right-click idea. Will do. Where exactly do you right-click?
I don't think that has ever been possible unless you view the thread in a separate tab or window.

OK, that's possible though I never noticed it before the change.

rude man said:
By using 'quick reply'. The OP's quote is already compiled of course. If I do a quick-reply there is no problem. If I select 'go advanced' the whole thread is gone including the OP's compiled latex text.
You make it sound like you're able to get the quote to appear in the quick reply box, and then it disappears when you click "go advanced". I don't see how that's possible. Don't you mean that the quote simply never appears in a field in which you can input text, unless you actually hit the quote button?

Before the style change, what you actually had to do to get a quote to appear in the quick reply field was to click a "quick reply" button next to the post you wanted to quote, and then check the box "quote message in reply". This check box applies to the post whose "quick reply" button you clicked. Since the quick reply buttons have been removed, that box can never be checked.

rude man said:
I never tried your right-click idea. Will do. Where exactly do you right-click?
I scroll all the way up to the top.

Physics Forums > PF Lounge > Forum Feedback & Announcements > PF is getting a face lift!
I right-click on "PF is getting a face lift!" and choose "open link in new tab". (I use Firefox. The choice might have a slightly different text in other browsers).

Your description looks like you use the WYSIWYG-editor. I cannot find it in the options - vBulletin supports it, but that might be a gold member feature.
There is a simple workaround: Do not use that editor together with LaTeX. I think the MathJax implementation changed a bit, so this could have caused the difference.

I've been seeing this on my Firefox browser. There seems to be a control character there. (e.g. If I do a copy and paste into one of my word processors, the processors exits.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=57829&stc=1&d=1365866802.jpg

sometimes overlapping

attachment.php?attachmentid=57830&stc=1&d=1365867490.jpg

Attachments

• controlchar.jpg
    controlchar.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 531
  • controlchar_2.jpg
    controlchar_2.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
PhD Comics

on the homepage, the excellent PhD comics are now in a sub-section of "Science News" whose heading is "Physics Forums - Science …" (only), and is clickably linked to the top of the same page :confused:

perhaps it could link to https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=186 ("Science Comics") and have its own banner header "Science Comics" (like "Science News")?

this only shows if you cllck the "Quote" button!

why is the thread title unavoidably added as a post title to the fourth post in every thread? :confused:

(and can we please have our post titles back? … they show up if you click the "Quote" button, but not on the actual page)

what happened to pf? i cleared cashe but it still looks weird. i can't see any avatar and the color of pages is white. i tried different browsers but yet no difference.

Some of the images are served from the cloud, perhaps you have (hopefully) temporary problems accessing them?

I like it, nice face

Borek said:
Some of the images are served from the cloud, perhaps you have (hopefully) temporary problems accessing them?

no, that's not it! everything is disabled for me. i can't use formating tips. i mean i see them as text not something that i'd be able to click on them. i can't add an atachment or a picture and the forum look really weird. i see all members in the same color and the color background is white:cry:

En_lizard said:
no, that's not it! everything is disabled for me. i can't use formating tips. i mean i see them as text not something that i'd be able to click on them. i can't add an atachment or a picture and the forum look really weird. i see all members in the same color and the color background is white:cry:
What browser are you using?

Evo said:
What browser are you using?

Mozila firefox! But I tested other browsers like chrome and IE and it didn't work.
That's the way I see pf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Try clearing your cache again. Are you using the most up to date versions?