Nginx 500 Errors: Report & Post Troubleshooting

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary, there were several reports of 500 nginx errors while trying to post on the forum. These errors occurred sporadically and were not consistent among all users. Some also experienced the errors while trying to preview or edit posts. The cause of these errors is still unknown, but the administrator made some adjustments and updated nginx to the latest version in an attempt to fix the issue. It was suggested that maintenance announcements could help prevent these errors in the future.
Got several 500s less than 10 minutes ago, while trying to post in the photography thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
Just before I posted the report: about 1940 UK time.

C'mon, there wasn't even an internet back then!

lisab said:

:tongue:

The lesson seems to be that it would help when maintenance is announced.

Andre said:
The lesson seems to be that it would help when maintenance is announced.

The problem is there is no good way to make sure everyone sees it. The recent maintenance was emergency. What is the point of announcing it and then shutting down and then people end up reading about the announcement after I'm finished.

lisab said:

That doesn't make sense. 1940 UK Time means like 12.01pm NZST.

1940 UK Date/Year would make your statement humourous.

StevieTNZ said:
1940 UK Date/Year would make your statement humourous.

That's the way that I interpreted it, and I found it quite amusing.

And yes, as a former pilot I'm familiar with military time.

Danger said:
That's the way that I interpreted it, and I found it quite amusing.

And yes, as a former pilot I'm familiar with military time.

Indeed, it was a joke :biggrin:.

lisab said:
Indeed, it was a joke :biggrin:.

I am surprised it could be read in any other way.

I got 500 nginx errors around 8am CST this morning and lost a longish post which I didn't bother to retype because I didn't want it to get lost again.

Time is time. e.g. 12am - 11.59pm
Date includes year.

Please report any errors from this point on. I've made changes throughout the day.

jedishrfu said:
I got 500 nginx errors around 8am CST this morning and lost a longish post which I didn't bother to retype because I didn't want it to get lost again.
You shouldn't lose anything. Just wait a few minutes and then reload the page.

I got it repeatedly when trying to edit my posts yesterday (about 0815 GMT on 18th April). I didn't succeed until the error resolved itself.

Borek said:

And I'm surprised that you can read at all, with all that hair in your eyes.

Danger said:
I didn't smell anything, but I'll take your word for it...
lisab said:
Borek said:
Danger said:
And I'm surprised that you can read at all, with all that hair in your eyes.
Lol...

No errors here.

OCR

Just got one now at 9:10pm CST. Was trying to post.

Me too.

Just got another one (straight 500) at 8:49 MST while responding in GD. It cleared within less than a minute.

Just now. Trying to give a warning.

I've made more changes, please let me know if you get errors from this moment on.

So, really... what do those messages mean, other than "something screwed up"?

Danger said:
So, really... what do those messages mean, other than "something screwed up"?

That's the problem - nobody knows the exact meaning. Which is why it is so difficult to get rid of them.

Well that's no way to run an airline...

Danger said:
Well that's no way to run an airline...

I have a good news for you - we don't run an airline :wink:

Airline approach would be to ground the forums till the problem is resolved. Difference is, forum crash means just some posts lost. And even those lost posts are limited to just a last few hours in the worst case.

It doesn't mean Greg is not trying to find out what is happening, but it is often extremely difficult, especially when there is no sure way to reproduce the problem. 500 can mean some stupid error in the system configuration (rather unlikely, as the system was running OK for the last few months), but it can also mean some piece of hardware is failing and misbehaves at random moments. If it is the latter, chances are situation will not become clear before it breaks definitely.

GRRRR%^&! :rofl: I got another 500 when trying to submit THIS particular post.

The 500s started an hour ago, that's not funny :(

Didn't it start around the time of the style change? Maybe there was some bigger problem around that time. There was one night when I got 500s all the time. Couldn't post for hours, I think. Not entirely sure though. Maybe it was just random and I happened to get a lot in a short time.

so the best strategy is to compose your post then copy it to the clipboard and submit. if the 500 occurs you can save it in a file or try again.

jedishrfu said:
so the best strategy is to compose your post then copy it to the clipboard and submit. if the 500 occurs you can save it in a file or try again.
This is what you need to do if you are unable to just wait a few minutes and reload the page. If you can do that, you don't even have to copy the text to the clipboard. Just wait a few minutes, reload the page, and make sure to answer "yes" when you're asked if you want to resubmit the data.

jedishrfu said:

Have you tried the "back" button? On most browsers it gets you back to the page where you were composing your post, and the content is still there.

No, you shouldn't go back. You won't find the stuff the stuff you wrote there. Not the latest version of it anyway. (You may find what you typed for the last successful preview, but that won't help if you have made major changes since then, or if what you just tried to do was the first preview). What you should do is to just wait a few minutes and then press the reload button. Then you answer yes when you're asked if you would like to resend the information.

If you made the mistake of going back, you should undo that by going forward again. (Unfortunately I'm not sure if that works. I can't rule out that the message gets lost forever once you press the back button).

Edit: I remembered some of this wrong. I did some experiments to refresh my memory. So see my next post.

Last edited:
I've always lost my post completely back button or otherwise. This may be browser dependent. I use Chrome usually and this is what I've experienced.

Can you try the following experiment? (It could save you some future headaches). Type something in the quick reply field below. Then pull out the network cable or disable your network interface, and then click "go advanced". Wait for the error message to appear. Now insert the cable, or enable the network interface. Wait a few seconds for it to get started. Now press the reload button and confirm that you want to resend the information. This should give you a successful preview of the text you typed.

I just did some experiments like this of my own (using Firefox). When I typed in advanced mode and then failed to preview (because I wasn't connected to the network), the back button actually worked. I did see the stuff I had typed when I went back. However, when I typed the text in the quick reply box, failed to "go advanced", and then went back, the quick reply field was empty. But I could recover the text by going forward again, and confirming that I want to resend the information.

If I get an error, I always hit the back arrow and copy, then paste it in later if immediate resubmissions don't work. I'm running Leopard on a MacBook.

Danger said:
If I get an error, I always hit the back arrow and copy, then paste it in later if immediate resubmissions don't work. I'm running Leopard on a MacBook.
Yes, this seems to work if you were already in advanced mode, but if you were typing in the quick reply box, you will find that there's nothing there to copy. What you can do then is to go forward again, and probably get the same error message. Then you just wait a while, reload the page, and confirm that you want to resend the information.