Home projects for chemical engineering?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of using one's knowledge in chemistry to create DIY projects at home, specifically in the field of chemical engineering. Some ideas that were suggested include building fuel cells, experimenting with 3D printing, and replicating advanced materials like aerogel and nanotubes. It was also suggested to build a biodiesel reactor and sell the product to support education and pay off student loans. Additional resources were mentioned, such as a forum and science fair projects.
member 392791
Hello,

I just finished my lower division chemistry/physics sequence, and next semester I am transferring and will start taking my upper division chemical engineering classes. I was wondering what sort of projects I can do at home with my knowledge, or if someone can share ideas for DIY type stuff at home. I want to kickstart my way into chem engineering, so I will be more confident when I begin taking engineering courses this fall.

I know people in EE that make cars and stuff like that, is there something feasible like that for chem engineering? Obviously I can't make an oil distillation type of stuff in my house, but something small?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe that fuel cells fall under the category of chemical engineering. How about messing around with building some?

How do I go about starting to make a fuel cell? Are the parts relatively cheap to buy and then I can just learn how to assemble it?

I'm afraid that I don't know; I was just throwing out an idea. Someone else should be along to help you before too long.

Danger said:
I'm afraid that I don't know; I was just throwing out an idea. Someone else should be along to help you before too long.

My nephew-in-law has a PhD in Chemistry, and his last project was fuel cells. Should I invite him to the forum?

Of course. Why haven't you already?

Danger said:
Of course. Why haven't you already?

He's quite busy with a daughter and new son.

-------------------------
real reason? He and his family are from Texas. Think Harper, only with brains. Dangerous combo. Actually, I like the kid a lot.

Woopydalan said:
How do I go about starting to make a fuel cell? Are the parts relatively cheap to buy and then I can just learn how to assemble it?

Have you tried making one of these yet? FUEL CELL

lol seriously though if you have chemistry smarts maybe you can play with 3D printing trying to find an input material that is mass consumer friendly and super strong/durable & only requires a mass consumer (Read cheap) 3D printer. Basically make 3D printing cheap for me :smile:

Maybe start with buying a lemon/

If you can afford to spend dozen of thousands for this, try to reproduce some extraordinary material, ie aerogel, nanotubes, diamond, high-temperature superconductors, etc.
Those technologies are quite documented, but not yet in the mass production stage.
Thus, it will give you the real research experience and you will not loose yourself in looking for "philosophical stone".
And, of course having such a samples is very cool for bragging :-)

1. What are some common home projects for chemical engineering?

Some common home projects for chemical engineering include creating homemade cleaning products, making beauty products like soap or lotion, and experimenting with food preservation techniques.

2. What safety precautions should I take when doing home projects involving chemicals?

Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling chemicals. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and follow all instructions and warnings on chemical labels.

3. Can I use household items instead of purchasing expensive chemicals for my projects?

Yes, many home projects can be done using household items such as vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice. However, it is important to research and understand the chemical properties of these items before using them in your projects.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy and precision of my home experiments?

To ensure accuracy and precision, it is important to carefully measure and record all ingredients and follow experimental procedures closely. It is also helpful to repeat experiments multiple times and compare results to ensure consistency.

5. Are there any online resources or communities for home projects in chemical engineering?

Yes, there are many online resources and communities dedicated to home projects in chemical engineering. Some popular ones include DIY Science, Instructables, and Chemical Forums. These communities are a great place to share ideas, get advice, and learn from others' experiences.