Improve Scientific Literacy: Assignments & Ideas That Worked

In summary: You suggest looking at Multiliteracies. This website discusses how to write a scientific report. Some of the literacies that are discussed are modality, tone, grammatical structures, and graphic organizers.
Gamma
I am teaching introductory physics at community college level and I want to incorporate assignments or tasks to improve students' scientific literacy. What are some assignments that can be assigned? Most importantly, I would like to know what worked for you.

Some of my ideas are: Assign reading tasks. Students can read topics related to the content and write a summary of the reading. Sources could be online physics sites such as Physics.org, NASA. and APS.

Students can report on a current science related news. For example an article from ScienceNews.org.

If you could even point me to some online sources where I can find similar possible assignments and rubrics to go with it would be highly appreciated!

thanks!

Sithy

Science news on Phys.org
I like your idea, definitely. I would simply stress that the written summary should not be a passive recounting, but rather a critical dissection highlighting claims that are not well-supported by data. For a rubric, I suggest including the following items:

Require students to evaluate the accuracy, authority, currency, objectivity, and reliability of information sources.

Require students to address the ethical and legal uses of information.

Interpret mathematical models such as formulae, graphs, tables, and schematics and draw inferences from them.

Represent and interpret mathematical information that is presented symbolically, visually numerically, or verbally.

Use arithmetic, algebraic, geometric, statistical models and technology or appropriate combinations of these to solve problems.

Estimate and check answers to mathematical problems in order to determine their reasonableness, identify alternatives, and select optimal results.

Recognize the limits of mathematical and statistical models and be able to explain those limitations in context.

I guess some threads in the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182 subforum can be a good starting point for a discussion in class.

I suggest you first look at multiliteracies.

http://wwwstatic.kern.org/filer/blogWrite44ManilaWebsite/paul/articles/A_Pedagogy_of_Multiliteracies_Designing_Social_Futures.htm

You suggest they write a report. What are the literacies involved ins scientific report writing? This can form the basis of the report itself.

- what is the tone of a scientific report? formal or informal?
- what is the modality? written, web, spoken at conference?
- what grammatic structures are there? past tense? third person? passive voice?
- what graphic organisers are used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_organizer

Last edited by a moderator:

Great to hear that you are looking for ways to improve your students' scientific literacy! Assignments are a great way to engage students and help them develop critical thinking skills. Here are some ideas for assignments that can help improve scientific literacy:

1. Scientific Article Analysis: Assign students an article from a reputable scientific journal and have them analyze and summarize the main points, methods used, and conclusions drawn. This will help them understand how scientific research is conducted and how to critically evaluate scientific information.

2. Science News Presentation: Have students research a current science news topic and present it to the class. This will not only improve their research and presentation skills but also keep them updated on the latest scientific advancements.

3. Science Communication Project: Ask students to create a project that communicates a scientific concept to a non-scientific audience. This could be in the form of a video, infographic, or blog post. This will help students develop their science communication skills, an important aspect of scientific literacy.

4. Scientific Debates: Divide the class into groups and assign them a controversial scientific topic to debate. This will help students understand different perspectives and how to support their arguments with scientific evidence.

5. Science Blogging: Have students create a science blog where they can write about various scientific topics and share their thoughts and opinions. This will not only improve their writing skills but also encourage them to stay updated on current scientific issues.

As for online sources, you can check out the National Science Teachers Association website for ideas and resources. Also, the American Association for the Advancement of Science has a section on their website dedicated to resources for teaching and learning.

In terms of rubrics, it's important to clearly communicate your expectations for each assignment. You can create rubrics that assess different aspects such as content, organization, and critical thinking skills. You can also involve students in the rubric creation process to help them understand the expectations and goals of the assignment.

I hope these ideas and resources are helpful in improving your students' scientific literacy. Good luck with your teaching!

1. How can I effectively incorporate scientific literacy into my classroom assignments?

To improve scientific literacy in assignments, it is important to make sure that the tasks are relevant and engaging for students. This can be achieved by connecting the assignments to real-world issues, using hands-on activities and experiments, and incorporating multimedia resources such as videos and interactive simulations.

2. Are there any specific strategies for promoting critical thinking skills in scientific literacy assignments?

Yes, some effective strategies for promoting critical thinking in scientific literacy assignments include encouraging students to ask questions, analyze data, and draw conclusions based on evidence. It is also important to provide opportunities for students to collaborate and discuss ideas with their peers.

3. How can I assess students' scientific literacy through assignments?

Assessing scientific literacy through assignments can be done through a variety of methods, such as written reports, presentations, and projects. It is important to clearly outline the learning objectives and expectations for each assignment to ensure that students understand what is being assessed.

4. Can I use technology to enhance scientific literacy in assignments?

Absolutely! Technology can be a powerful tool for enhancing scientific literacy in assignments. You can incorporate online resources, such as virtual labs and interactive simulations, into your assignments to provide students with a more immersive learning experience. Additionally, technology can be used for data analysis and visualization, which can help students better understand complex scientific concepts.

5. How can I differentiate assignments to meet the needs of all students?

To differentiate assignments for students with varying levels of scientific literacy, you can provide different levels of support and challenge. This can include providing additional resources and scaffolding for struggling students, and offering more open-ended and challenging tasks for advanced students. It is also important to provide opportunities for students to choose their own topics or methods for completing assignments.