Jack Andraka, the Teen Prodigy of Pancreatic Cancer

In summary, Jack Andraka worked on a diagnostic test for pancreatic cancer that has the potential to save many lives, but had to deal with a lot of rejection from professionals due to the lack of peer-review publication.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
I saw a video of Jack on Upworthy this morning. Interesting kid.
http://www.usasciencefestival.org/schoolprograms/niftyfifty.html?pid=420&sid=640:Mr-Jack
After his uncle died of pancreatic cancer, Jack (then a ninth grader) became interested in finding a better early-detection diagnostic test. Exploring material from his biology class on analytical methods using carbon nanotubes, and searching online scientific journals, he began to formulate ideas. He discovered that the lack of a rapid, low-cost early screening method contributed to the poor survival rate among individuals with pancreatic cancer. After thinking further about the problem, he came up with a plan and a budget to put his ideas in motion.

He contacted about 200 research professionals at Johns Hopkins University and the National Institutes of Health about his plan. He got 197 rejection letters and then finally got an acceptance from Dr. Anirban Maitra, Professor of Pathology, Oncology and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, who became his mentor. It was at Dr. Maitra's lab where Jack developed his test.

The results of Jack's diagnostic test were published on the website of the Society for Science and the Public, and he has spoken before such organizations as the American Society of Clinical Pathologists on his findings.

I read several articles about him. Someone at Forbes said they didn't include him in their "30 under 30" list, because he'd never published in a peer reviewed journal, nor were his numerical claims correct.

I thought that was kind of lame. He was 15! Give him a break!

Ha! Just found this:

How did you find the lab space to carry out your experiments?

I was kind of a stalker. I went online to all the directories [at area universities] and looked at all the research interests of the scientists. All the ones who were interested in pancreatic cancer I e-mailed — 200 of them. Some wrote back very mean stuff. In big red ink, like this is the worst idea ever. But one — Dr. Anirban Maitra — took a chance on me.

If I were Jack, I'd photocopy the $75,000 check, send it to the mean scientists, and write on it "Ha ha!"

:tongue:

ps. My thanks to Dr. Maitra, for being a great mentor. :approve:

Likes 1 person
Biology news on Phys.org
Its always good to hear stories like this.

The down side of course, is that now you'll have a small set of teenagers who will feel as if their lives are over I they can't get to work in a university lab.

The worst idea ever could be a revolutionizing idea, I hope it will be the latter!

I first heard about Jack Andraka on 60 Minutes a few months ago, and was really impressed both by his ability to work and develop the test for pancreatic cancer (which will have tremendous benefit to patients), and just in general for his passion and energy. I really wish him all the best on his future endeavours, and should really look out for him to achieve more great things in his life!

I am truly impressed by Jack Andraka's determination and ingenuity in tackling such a complex and devastating disease like pancreatic cancer. It takes a lot of courage and passion to pursue a scientific idea at such a young age, and I commend Jack for his perseverance and dedication to finding a solution.

The fact that he was able to develop a diagnostic test for pancreatic cancer, with the guidance of his mentor Dr. Maitra, is a testament to his intelligence and potential as a scientist. It is not surprising that he faced rejection and criticism from some professionals, as that is unfortunately a common occurrence in the scientific community. However, I believe that his work and results speak for themselves and he should be recognized for his achievements, regardless of his age or lack of publication in a peer-reviewed journal.

I also appreciate Jack's resourcefulness in finding a lab space to carry out his experiments. It shows that he is not afraid to go above and beyond in pursuit of his goals and that he is willing to take risks to make his ideas a reality. His determination to prove the naysayers wrong and his sense of humor in response to their criticism is admirable.

I believe that Jack Andraka is a shining example of the potential and impact that young scientists can have on the world. I hope he continues to pursue his passion for science and inspires others to do the same.

What is Jack Andraka known for?

Jack Andraka is known for being a teenage prodigy who invented a breakthrough test for pancreatic cancer.

How did Jack Andraka come up with the idea for his invention?

Jack Andraka was inspired to create his invention after losing a family friend to pancreatic cancer. He researched the disease and discovered that there was no early detection method available. This motivated him to develop a cost-effective and non-invasive way to detect pancreatic cancer in its early stages.

What is the name of Jack Andraka's invention?

Jack Andraka's invention is called the "dipstick sensor" and it is a paper strip test that can detect pancreatic cancer biomarkers in a patient's blood or urine sample.

What recognition has Jack Andraka received for his invention?

Jack Andraka has received numerous awards and accolades for his invention, including the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair's Gordon E. Moore Award, which is considered the "Nobel Prize for high school students." He has also been invited to speak at TEDx events and has been featured in major media outlets.

Has Jack Andraka's invention been put into use?

While Jack Andraka's invention has been successfully tested in the lab, it has not yet been put into widespread use. However, there is ongoing research and development to potentially make the dipstick sensor available for clinical use in the future.