Shoot the moon - differential equation for motion in earth - moon syst

In summary, the task at hand is to compute the initial velocity vector of a bullet shot from coordinates on Earth to reach the Moon, using the known orbit and position of the Moon in time t. The equations proposed for this problem are the circular restricted three body problem equations, specifically in the synodic frame where the Earth and Moon are stationary. However, there may be simpler ways to solve this problem and more details are needed to fully understand it.
visio

Homework Statement

We have given coordinates on the Earth from where we are shooting to the Moon (bullet has really small mass). The Moon orbit and therefore Moon position in time t is known. The task is to compute the initial velocity vector (the angle and velocity of the bullet), so the bullet will reach the Moon.

Homework Equations

Maybe we can use this equations?

[itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = 2\Omega \frac{dy}{dt} +\Omega^2x-\frac{GM_e(x-x_e)}{r^3_e}-\frac{GM_m(x-x_m)}{r^3_m} [/itex]

[itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = -2\Omega \frac{dx}{dt} +\Omega^2y-\frac{GM_e(y_e)}{r^3_e}-\frac{GM_m(y_m)}{r^3_m} [/itex]

Ω is angular system velocity
G is gravitational constant
[itex]M_e, M_m[/itex] is mass of the Earth, Moon
[itex]r_e, r_m[/itex] is distance between Earth, Moon and the bullet
[itex]x_e, x_m[/itex] coordinates of the Earth, Moon centre of mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to solve it numerically with shooting method, but the problem is, how the differential equation describing bullet trajectory looks like. I found the ones above, but I am not physicist (the main problem is to find the numeric solution of that equation), I do not know, if I can use them or not.

If anyone can give me some reference to the literature about this problem or something (the equations can be simple - no need to include all the influences, just the main ones as gravity field and rotation), I would be very happy. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean you're not a physicist. A physician is another name for a medical doctor. The equations are fine. The origin is placed at the center of mass of the earth-moon system.There are probably easier ways to solve that problem. Hard to tell since you didn't really give enough details about the problem

Thanks for language note. Unfortunately I do not have more details, it is up to me to find out the differential equations to solve. But if you can tell me what details are missing, I can probably add them. Maybe I can add that as the initial conditions for given system I am using coordinates of the place on Earth (at time = 0) and coordinates of the Moon (at time = end time).

Last edited:
The equations you found are for the synodic frame in the circular restricted three body problem. The Earth and Moon don't move in that frame. Having a stationary target should make your shooting algorithm a bit easier.

Thanks for an advice. But still, I do not know what equation should I use then. Can you be a little bit more specific?

1. What is the "Shoot the moon" differential equation?

The "Shoot the moon" differential equation is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a projectile in a two-body system, specifically the Earth-Moon system. It takes into account the gravitational forces between the two bodies and allows for the prediction of the projectile's trajectory.

2. How does the "Shoot the moon" differential equation relate to motion in the Earth-Moon system?

The "Shoot the moon" differential equation is derived from Newton's laws of motion and his law of universal gravitation. It takes into account the masses and distances of the Earth and Moon, as well as the initial position and velocity of the projectile, to predict its motion in the system.

3. What are the variables in the "Shoot the moon" differential equation?

The variables in the "Shoot the moon" differential equation include the masses of the Earth and Moon, the distance between them, the initial position and velocity of the projectile, and the time. These variables are used to solve for the projectile's trajectory in the system.

4. How is the "Shoot the moon" differential equation used in real life?

The "Shoot the moon" differential equation is used in various fields such as astrodynamics, aerospace engineering, and physics to predict the motion of objects in the Earth-Moon system. It is also used in the design and planning of space missions and satellite orbits.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Shoot the moon" differential equation?

While the "Shoot the moon" differential equation is a useful model for predicting motion in the Earth-Moon system, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the bodies are point masses, neglects any external forces such as atmospheric drag, and does not account for the effects of relativity. These limitations can lead to small errors in the predicted trajectory.