Rolling friction force and velocity

In summary, e2m2a understands that the rolling friction force is proportional to the rolling object's velocity.
e2m2a
I have a concept about rolling friction which someone might be able to confirm for me. Let's say there is a steel ball rolling on a steel surface. It seems to me that the rolling friction force would be proportional to the rolling object's velocity.

My understanding is rolling friction is caused by deformation of the rolling ball or deformation of the surface or both. As a ball rolls in one direction if there is a "ploughing" effect of the surface, for example, then it makes sense that a faster moving ball would compress or deform the surface deeper in front of the moving ball, thereby generating greater elastic restoring forces, than a slower moving ball which would compress or deform the surface less, and therefore, would generate a smaller elastic restoring force. Therefore, the rolling friction force would be less.

I cannot imagine a ball rolling at a mere .5 cm/sec about ready to come to a stop having the same rolling friction force as a ball rolling at 1 m/sec. I visualize a graph with the horizontal line being velocity and the vertical line being the rolling friction force, and that the line would begin at the origin and slope up.

Am I basically right about this concept?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi e2m2a. If you look at 'friction coefficients' for rolling element bearings, you'll find they are generally given as a constant regardless of what rotational speed the bearing operates at1. That isn't to say there are no other 'frictional' loads on a rotating shaft. There are2. Oil for example may produce a resisting load that's a function of the square of velocity (ie: square of rotational speed). But generally, rolling element bearing friction is modeled as if there were some coefficient of friction and additional loads are negligable.

Consider your 'plough' analogy. Clearly there is going to be some deformation between 2 pieces of metal in contact that have some force pushing them together. Per Hooke's law, one can imagine that the amount of deformation between the parts in contact is a function of contact stress and material properties but nothing more. Basically, the ball and race are springs that get compressed and are released as the rolling element passes. As the ball or roller goes past some point on the race, you might imagine the material deforming as it accepts the compressive load and as it passes the point of contact it de-compresses or springs back to it's unstressed state. How fast it can 'spring back' after it rolls past the point of contact can be compared to the speed of sound in the metal. How much it deforms the surface is strictly a function of compressive stress which is independent of rotational speed. Metal deforms at some limiting speed (speed of sound in materail) which is generally much faster than the rate of a bearing that's rolling in a race, so you should find it springing back pretty much as fast as the contact stress decreases.

There is some conversion of mechanical energy to thermal energy in the bearing which occurs because of internal 'friction' inside the balls and races just as the coefficient of restitution in material doesn't allow all energy to remain in a bouncing ball for example. But there isn't any 'ploughing' going on in a bearing. It's more like a spring being compressed as the ball rolls through the contact point and then decompresses as it rolls away from that contact point.

1. http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Tribology/Bearing Friction.html
2. http://medias.ina.com/medias/en!hp.tg.cat/tg_hr*ST4_102160011

I kind of grasp your explanation, but I don't think my questing was answered directly. Overall, is the rolling friction force velocity dependent? Would a rolling sphere whose center of mass is moving at .5 cm/sec have the same rolling friction force as a rolling sphere moving 1 meters/sec?

The coefficient of friction and therefore the rolling frictional force does not change with rotational velocity.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I will reexamine my assumptions. Thank you for your explanation.

1. What is rolling friction?

Rolling friction is the force that opposes the motion of a rolling object, such as a wheel or ball, on a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the object and the surface it is rolling on.

2. How is rolling friction different from sliding friction?

Rolling friction is different from sliding friction in that it only occurs when an object is rolling, while sliding friction occurs when an object is sliding or moving along a surface. Rolling friction is typically lower than sliding friction, making it easier for objects to roll than to slide.

3. How does the velocity affect rolling friction?

The velocity of an object does not have a significant effect on rolling friction. As long as the object is rolling, the rolling friction remains relatively constant regardless of its velocity. However, the force required to initiate rolling motion will increase with higher velocities.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of rolling friction force?

The magnitude of rolling friction force depends on the weight of the object, the surface it is rolling on, and the shape and material of the object. Rougher surfaces and heavier objects tend to have higher rolling friction forces.

5. Can rolling friction be eliminated?

No, rolling friction cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by using smoother surfaces and more spherical objects, as well as by adding lubricants such as oil or grease. In some cases, rolling friction can also be counteracted by other forces, such as gravity or applied forces.