Designing Nut and Orifice fittings (brass)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a full CNC drawing for a modified 1/4" BSP nut and orifice fitting made in China. The individual is having trouble designing the olive correctly and is seeking resources for design criteria and a link to a similar product. Suggestions are made to use gauges for measurement and to consider the material, flow rate, and driving force of the orifice. A link is provided for further references on BSP threaded fittings tolerances and dimensions.
GregFisk25
Hi,
I get parts made in China, and I need to make a full CNC drawing.
It is a modified 1/4" BSP nut and orifice fitting. I cannot find anywhere how to draw the nut and orifice so they work correctly. This is the part they make the most mistakes with, as the tolerances are small.
It is not practical for me to try and measure the sizes and angles of an existing one. There must be design criteria available somewhere?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have a link to a similar product?

Why can you not measure an existing one?
Use a set of very small drills or piano wires as diameter gauges.
You will probably need Go/NoGo gauges later for QC on the delivered product.

What material flows through the orifice? What flow rate? What drives the flow?

Hi,
Thanks for the help.
It is not the orifice or thread I am having trouble with, purely the design of the olive - they need to be designed just right so they are not too tight or too loose.

1. What are nut and orifice fittings made of?

Nut and orifice fittings are typically made of brass, a type of alloy that is composed of copper and zinc. This material is commonly used in plumbing and industrial applications due to its durability and resistance to corrosion.

2. How do nut and orifice fittings work?

Nut and orifice fittings are used to connect pipes or tubing together. The nut is screwed onto the fitting, creating a tight seal, while the orifice regulates the flow of fluid or gas through the fitting. This allows for precise control and measurement of flow rates.

3. What are the advantages of using brass for nut and orifice fittings?

Brass is a popular choice for nut and orifice fittings because it is strong, durable, and resistant to corrosion. It also has good thermal and electrical conductivity, making it suitable for a wide range of applications. Additionally, brass fittings are relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

4. How do you select the right size nut and orifice fitting?

The size of the nut and orifice fitting needed depends on the diameter of the pipes or tubing being connected. It is important to select a fitting with the correct size and thread type to ensure a secure and leak-free connection. It is recommended to consult a sizing chart or consult with a professional for assistance in selecting the right size fitting.

5. Can nut and orifice fittings be used for both high and low-pressure applications?

Yes, nut and orifice fittings can be used for a wide range of pressure applications. However, it is important to select a fitting with the appropriate pressure rating for the specific application to ensure safe and efficient operation. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's specifications or a professional for guidance on selecting the right fitting for a particular pressure range.